108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Power Supply Question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ray Bell
Regular Advisor

Power Supply Question

I have several Proliant DL360 G5 servers which have two power supply. I have them both in a 110V strip but I need to free up power usage in the rack. I have a rack next to it which have a 220V so can I move one of the power supply to that strip witout causing the server an issue? I'm just concern since one is 110V and the other is 220V.
4 REPLIES 4
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Power Supply Question

There should not be a problem with the voltage difference, each power supply should adjust itself. I have not done it with these servers but I have done this with HP UNIX servers in the past.

Where do the two power strips come from? Are they from two different UPSes? If yes there may be a problem.
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

dl360 g5 PSU (power supply units) will work from 100V to 240V, If you connect it from 110 to 220 it will auto-ajust itself.

go for it!

JQ
Ray Bell
Regular Advisor

TTr I'm not sure where the power strips are coming from. We are using this site as DR and they provide the power for us. We have max out on one of the rack and need to free up some power.
TTr
Honored Contributor

If the power strips come from different UPSes there is this thing called "phase synchronization" which you will lose. That is the AC current from each UPS may not be in the same phase which might (or might not) cause an issue with the two power supplies.

If they come from the same big UPS no problem, but if they come from different small UPSes look further.