1752271 Members
4767 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Power Supply for ML330

Jim Herman
Occasional Contributor

Power Supply for ML330

I have a Proliant ML330 with single power supply. I wanted to upgrade the supply because I have more drives now. I appeared to be a standard ATX supply but when I got a new, bigger one and installed it the system just comes on for a second and shuts down again. The supply is good as I've tested it in another machine. Any idea what the problem is or how to work around it?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

G1,G2 or G3?
Jim Herman
Occasional Contributor

It just says ML330 on the case with no mention of any G's. Would that be a G1? Is there another way to tell?

Thanks
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

If there is no other information that meens G1.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

If it's white and has a non hot-plug (internal) power supply, it's a G1.
But you're risking too much using a regular ATX power supply on an HP server, the proliant servers are not generic desktop computers and cannot be serviced with a part you purchase on a computer store.
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Ya he is right,you could add splitter for for the connector
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/amamax/CB-PWI-4P-4P2-Y13.jpg

Dan
Jim Herman
Occasional Contributor

No, I understand and I've used the bigger redundant Proliant servers and I never would (did) use generic parts for them. But this one is a looks like a standard desktop with a normal ATX internal supply. It plugged right up to the 20 or 24 (I forget which) pin ATX connector with no mods needed. Lights come on on the motherboard, but then it shuts right down like the motherboard is checking and sees a non compaq part or something;). If I stick with compaq spares theres no real way to upsize the supply. The current PS has been going strong for probably close to ten years and I want to replace it before it retires. I'll get the OEM if needed, but in this case it seems a high quality ATX would do.

Does anyone know anything that gets checked with the power supply at start up that might be causing this?(voltages, special signals ect)