6208 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Power balancing accross Blade Enclosure

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard Thomas_11

Power balancing accross Blade Enclosure

We have just installed 2 p-Class Blade Enclosures running off a 3U Power Enclosure via a scalable bus bar. One of the power outlets (A) is connected directly to the external power supply, while the other (B) is connected to the building UPS. Our plans was to be that in the event of a power outage, outlet B would supply power to the Blade enclosures.

During testing, when we unplug outlet A, all the servers in the first half of both the blade enclosues go down. Likewise, when we unplug outlet B, all the servers in the second half of both enclosures go down. In both cases the interconnect switches for both enclosures stay up.

Is there a way to configure the power enclosure to allow power to be provided across the blade enclosures in the event of one of the power enclosure outlets going down?

Any help greatfully received. I hope I have explained myself OK!
10 REPLIES 10
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

What enclosure you use Original or enhanced
Did you Verify all circuit breakers
You use Power bus box
Is both sides on the scaleable Bar has Green LED
Did you look for Power Zoning Recommendation when Scalable Bur Used
Did you install Load-balancing signal cable connector
Any faulty LED or missing Power Green Led at management Modules
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Richard Thomas_11

Thanks for the prompt response.

Not sure, but I think the enclosure is the original - how do I confirm this?

All circuit breakers are functioning correctly, and the LED on both sides of the bus bar are green.

I have not touched the Power Zoning config, so it is still at default.

I though the Power bus box was only applicable to the mini bus bar, and the load balencing signal connector was for load balencing 2 power enclosures. We only have one in place in our rack.

I am more than happy to be corrected on either of these points!

Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Two power circuits attach to each power enclosure to allow for redundant power feeds. Each side of the power enclosure must be able to support the full load of the rack in case of AC failure. Therefore, to ensure redundancy, the draw on each power feed must be limited to half its maximum power rating.

Yep Power bus box with mini bar, not in your case, all power Zone set to 1, you can check from Service Port

Enclosure - How many Network Connections you have on the Management Module? Original 2 and enhanced 3 (problem either here or circuit)

Test the circuits if they really functional test with one Blade in enclosure - see if it goes down.

Firmware Up to Date on the Management Modules - if not, do one at time start from enclosure finish Power Supply
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23164.html
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Is each side populated with same blade model on the both enclosures?

What type of UPS you have

Divide in the half after calculations see if one side capable to support (should work if each side populated with same blades, if that true look in to Firmware and Bar problem)

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/80364-0-0-225-121.html

http://h30099.www3.hp.com/configurator/calc/BL%20p-Class.xls
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

What type of UPS you have typo read as Power Supply
Richard Thomas_11

The Power enclosure is enhanced, as we have different blade models in the blade enclosures. The first half on the enclosures contain the BL-20p class blades, while the other half contain the BL-30p servers. From what I understand from your diagram, the enhanced power enclosure will not allow power to be ditributed acrose the entire blade enclosure. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help so far...
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes - correct for enhanced - only one way how it works, we clear on that.
Now if you willing to share power backplane on the enclosure you need to convert back to Original and use additional Power supply for two Enclosures as single Power Supply won't be able to support more than 1.5 populated from 2 enclosures.
Or
Use Second Power supply for Redundancy and crossover inputs with Scaleable bar.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

... as single Power Supply won't be able to support more than 1.5 populated from 2 enclosures ... correct only if one side Power Input fails on the Power Supply.
Range 1.5 can be differ from 1.4 to 1.7 depend from server - 30p they really consume the power