1752290 Members
5364 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Power button too exposed

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Power button too exposed

How on earth was the DL380 G2 allowed into production with a power button that's so easy to press by accident? It's right next to the RHS thumbwheel so you depress it as you push the server into the cabinet. The button does need to be pushed into its recess, but only by a fraction of a mm, so there's no safety to speak of.
I can't find any delayed power-off setting in Setup.
Is it assumed the OS will deal will power switch action?
Please tell me I'm missing something. I'm off to RTFM now, but this is bad however you look at it.
7 REPLIES 7
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

If running NT or 2000 the power switch does require you to hold the button down for 5 seconds before the unit will shut off. I felt the same way as you on the first G2 I built - then with the Agents (don't know what ones) loaded the machine works much better. Hope this helps.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I agree with this! It has happened already that servers have been powered off unintentionally because of this problem, and we are now resorting to creating "covers" for this which will only allow someonw with a pen to power the server off. My question is what has Compaq done to resolve this? Is there a modification out that we are unaware of?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Why don't you simply change the role of the power button. You can even have it do nothing when pessed.

Remember READ THE MANUAL!!!
What if your boss saw such a newbie post?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Or you can still load the Agents which actually help in monitoring other areas of your server hardware as well.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

itdude said:...
"...Why don't you simply change the role of the power button?"
Because I'm not the guy who installs the OS.
Nor am I authorised to make changes off my own back.
We follow procedures in my company.
"... You can even have it do nothing when pressed."
Preferable, but does that mean I have to yank out mains leads when a server locks up? Great. That means further risk being introduced by interfering with the vulnerable cabling area. I'd like a real power switch. I don't like unnecessary risks.
"... Remember READ THE MANUAL!!!"
I stated an intention to do so. (That's what RTFM means, you know?)
However, I was wise enough to explore additional resources, including this forum.
"...What if your boss saw such a newbie post?"
I would be congratulated for identifying a risk and taking preemptive action to fix it.

The DL380G2 power switch is a bad design that creates a risk, and all the drivers in the world don't change or excuse that fact.
I've had a chance to test one set up by someone else. Pushing the power button did at least shut down the system gracefully, but if that had been accidental it would have been a serious mistake to make. I now have to spread the word in the company that this needs to be dealt with.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

There is actually a hardware fix to all of this. It involves a veery small flat blade screwdriver and a bit of fiddling about but it is possible to pop the plastic power switch out. It is held in by 2 small plastic clips at the back which if you can find them can be poped by inserting the screwdriver blade round the side of the power switch. I would suggest doing this with the power cable removed!!.

This does not do any damage to the switch which can then be switched on and off by pushing it with a pen. You can always put the plastic cap back on if you want. We have a collection of about 10 sitting in a drawer.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

HP has released a kit to rectify this issue.
Please call 1-800-OKCOMPAQ and request that they send you as many as you need.