New Discussion юеВ

Power input on back of HP servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hank43
Advisor

Power input on back of HP servers

Hi,

We a few ProLiant DL385p Gen 8 servers which I noticed have 4 power inputs, 2 or which have a blue border and 2 with black border around the input. My question is, what is the difference between the blue and black power inputs?

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Power input on back of HP servers

@Hank43 wrote:

Hi,

We a few ProLiant DL385p Gen 8 servers which I noticed have 4 power inputs, 2 or which have a blue border and 2 with black border around the input. My question is, what is the difference between the blue and black power inputs?

Can't say I've ever seen any DL38x server with 4 power inputs as they only have 2 power supply slots..   The blue power connectors denote these power supplies support Power Discovery Services. These blue ports facilitate communication between the server and HPE iPDu. The blue ports work just like a normal connection when using standard power cable

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Hank43
Advisor

My mistake -- you're correct, the 2 power inputs below belong to another server.

Thanks!

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

If you look into the blue connector, you will find additional contacts that only make sense if you use a special power cable and a special PDU. These are communication lines for power monitoring. If you use standard power cables, these contacts do nothing. It will not make any difference for you.

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"