ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753447 Members
5062 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Power management module reset button (DL380 G4)

JimTaylor
Advisor

Power management module reset button (DL380 G4)

Hi,

I'm trying to resolve a problem with a non-booting DL 380 G4. Trying to do as much fault finding as possible before calling in support. I'm reading a tech document from HP:

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00300504/c00300504.pdf

It says for the LED code state I'm experiencing to push the Power Management Module Reset Button - but no amount of reading other support documents or anything tell me where that darn button is! Can anybody advise?

4 REPLIES 4
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

The power management module reset button is available for blades. This server does not have one.

What is actuallying occurring?
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
JimTaylor
Advisor

Ah. Well that'll explain why I can't find one! I'll try not to feel too stupid! :)

The server is (for all intents and purposes) dead. You plug it in and power it on - it comes on, fans spin up once and then settle at a single speed but you then get no display or no sign of life at all. It's just on but doing nothing.

I've removed and reseated most of the major components (PSU's, VRM's, CPU's, Power Convertor, all fans, PCI riser cage, all HDD's) but makes no difference.

Would appreciate any suggestions on where to go from here!
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Can you ping the server after it's powered up? Do the fans spin down? Generally, if the fans slow down in the server it means the processor and memory are ok (not always). This could be a video controller failure.

Is the internal health LED lit on the front of the server? Are there any failure LED's lit on the system board? Have you tried bringing the server down to minimum configuration?
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
JimTaylor
Advisor

Thanks for the quick responses, Terry.

> Can you ping the server after it's powered up?

Problem was because the server was important, we took the disks out and put them into a spare identical DL 380 G4 chassis to get it up and running. So there are some disks in the old / faulty chassis but with no OS on them so we can't see if it's even booting.

> Do the fans spin down?

The fans spin up once when you power it on (to nowhere near full power) and then they settle down to a normal sort of level of noise.

> Generally, if the fans slow down in the server it means the processor and memory are ok (not always). This could be a video controller failure.

This is what I'm thinking. I'm attempting to get the original iLO details for the server (I don't think the original administrator has the iLO addresses / details any more!!) so that I can iLO into it and attempt to get a remote display to see if that works.

> Is the internal health LED lit on the front of the server? Are there any failure LED's lit on the system board?

No failure / warning LED's at all. Everything is green.

> Have you tried bringing the server down to minimum configuration?

Not yet but thinking this might be a wise move. Will attempt to get iLO details so I can remote to it through a crossover cable and then try this as the next step. Will keep you posted.