1748145 Members
3665 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Power problems on PL1600R??

Richard Cini_1
Advisor

Power problems on PL1600R??

I just got a "new-old-stock surplus" PL1600R that I'm redeploying to replace an aging PL800. It is a P-III/550 with the triple-redundant power supplies. When I plug all three power supplies in, their respective fans start but the green light on each supply does not light. The unit does not power up when I push the power switch on the front of the unit.

My PL800 does not have redundant power supplies installed. How should the power-up sequence occur? Should the green LEDs on each power supply be lit immediately or with a delay?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Rich

6 REPLIES 6
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Richard,
I have a 4MB pdf on redundant power supply for your server which I cannot post on the forum site. Please drop me a line at sunil.jerath@hp.com and I shall email it to you provided you are able to receive a large attachment.

Regards,
Richard Cini_1
Advisor

Hi:

Thanks. I emailed you separately.

Rich
Richard Cini_1
Advisor

Just a quick follow-up on this. Elsewhere on the ITRC, I found the redundant power supply option installation sheet. I confirmed that the cables are connected properly within the server case.

I did locate, however, a "mystery" 7-position cable coming from the back of the power supply backplane. Nothing is connected to it. It has six colored wires and a "key" position. Wire gauge is relatively small, maybe 22g. From left to right, the colors are:

red-vio-yel-grn-wht-KEY-blk

Any idea what this is for?
Richard Cini_1
Advisor

Here's another piece of information to add to this puzzle. I noticed the floppy drive light flash on briefly when I engaged the power switch this evening.

The server still does not power up, however. I re-seated all connectors and even re-arranged the power supplies (all three are plugged in and connected to AC power). The green LEDs on each power supply are still off, but I haven't found any info to reveal whether these should be normally on or off.

More to come I'm sure...
Richard Cini_1
Advisor

As promised...more details. I pulled the hot-swap power cage tonight to trace where this "mystery" 7-pin connector/cable goes. It connects to J7 on the hot-swap power backplane. The silkscreen label says "Power Switch". Hmmm...

The keying on the J7 power backplane connector matches the keying on the power switch cable assembly (283689-002 I think). Presently the power switch cable assembly connects to the server backplane per the instruction sheet Box 22. The keying on 283689 is different than the free-end of the cable that connects to J7 on the power backplane (described previously).

This must be the crux of the problem. So then what should be connected to the "mystery" connector coming from the power supply?
Richard Cini_1
Advisor

OK, here's the final resolution. I spent more than an hour on the phone with Compaq Tech Support last night. The tech, Andrew, was excellent and ran back and forth to the in-house lab to look at a live 1600.

The conclusion...whoever had this server before me installed the wrong redundant power option kit! Although the individual power supplies are the correct ones, the RPS backplane is the wrong one.

This setup had no hope of ever working properly.

Thanks to Andrew in Compaq Tech Support for coming up with the answer.