Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power saving on DL360 g5 running RHEL

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cookie_2
Frequent Advisor

Power saving on DL360 g5 running RHEL

1) On the Dell server (and something similar with Sun), we are able to enable power saving (or speedstep) in the BIOS, and then use the RH Linux command cpufreq to change the frequency of the CPU. We tried the same thing with the DL360G5 (with 2 E5450 CPU) by changing to OS Control Mode under Power Regulator in the BIOS. Cpufreq did not work at all on the DL360G5. Is that command not compatible with HP, or a different Linux command is needed for OS Control Mode, or Power Regulator does not support the Intel E5450 processor? Note: they have over 300 DL360G5 with E5450 CPU's.

If you look at the Power Regulator site www.hp.com/servers/power-regulator you see that the DL360G5 is supported but it does not list the E5450 as supported. Would it be that the site is just not updated or does it really not work.

2) We are also looking at being able to put the servers into 'sleep' mode which retains the memory state. This is Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) S3 state. It does not appears that the HP DL360G5 or the BL2x220 supports S3. According the Quickspecs, the DL360G5 supports 2.0b while the BL2x220c supports 2.0. We are REALLY interested in being able to use ACPI S3 sleep mode on servers that they will buy in the future. Because of that, this questions is even more important than the first one because that would be about 1,000 servers over the next 18 months.

Please let me know if we can make that happen.
Sometimes a Loser Wins!!
4 REPLIES
Cookie_2
Frequent Advisor

Re: Power saving on DL360 g5 running RHEL

Please help me guys. 10 points to anyone who posts a relevant response/solution.
Sometimes a Loser Wins!!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

sorry I don't any answer I only know the E5450 should support power regulator settings

see this link page 15
http://download.intel.com/design/xeon/specupdt/318585.pdf

it clearly says only E5405 does not support Intel SpeedStep® Technology.
so it means E5450 must

for the other thing in fact is new for me I should research a little more

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Cookie

have you found something else on your own?

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Cookie_2
Frequent Advisor

Closing Thread
Sometimes a Loser Wins!!