ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753990 Members
7591 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Power supplies failures on HP DL380G5

Chris Coppens

Power supplies failures on HP DL380G5

We experienced a lot of failures with the power supplies of the latest DL380G5 servers. All servers do have 2PS. 9 failures in 2 months on 60 server is to much. All servers are installed in a professional datacenter (1500m┬▓) and we have an install base of more then 300 servers without any problem. It seems only related to G5 systems. Somebody with the same experience?
4 REPLIES 4
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Chris,

Yes there are lots of G5 power supplies failing all over the place. As suggested check the PSU labels for the "bad versions".
HP will replace them without question but are treating all calls as "fix on failure" only.

On then label :-
P/N: 379123-001
Rev 02M is bad.
Rev 03M without green dot is bad
Rev 03M with green dot is OK (reworked)
Rev 04M is OK
P/N: 379124-001 - All OK.

The green dot is a small circular label to the right of the Revision information.

I believe HP have made a major flaw by changing the way these PSU's work. The fans now only come on when determined by the internal thermal sensors unlike previous generations where the fans ran in standby mode. There has been some strange behaviour reported on various G5 models as HP have standardised on the same PSU for most larger 300 series Proliants (ML and DL) like ML350, ML370, DL380 etc.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00772855

I hope this helps.

Brian

Chris Coppens

Thanks guys, I will escalate this towards our accountmanager and hopefully they will replace those PSU's asap.
Chris Coppens

Closed, thx all!