ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748103 Members
4715 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Power supplies for Blade enclosure

Pete LaBrec2

Power supplies for Blade enclosure

I've got a BL20p G3 blade that doesn't automatically power up upon insertion into the blade enclosure. I've checked the ILO settings, and the option to boot up is checked. I'm thinking it's a power issue, so I tried putting in 2 power supplies, and they don't become active. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I have little experience with this product.
12 REPLIES 12
Ar_2
Advisor

Hi Pete

I had the same issue but sorted out after adding power supplies.
I had 3 blade enclosures and 8 power supplies (2 power enclosures )power supplies were in slot 1,2,4 and 5.
I had added 4 more power supplies and also upgraded the Firmware to the latest available.

Ar
Carsten Reinhard
Frequent Advisor

Pete,

what kind of power enclusre do you have? The one with 3U or the one with 1U?

In which slots did you insert those power supplies?
Pete LaBrec2

The power enclosure is 1U. I just filled the remaining blade enclosure slot with a blade, and it won't power up properly. If I hold the button for 5 seconds it will start. Currently power supplies are in 1,2,4, and 5 position. So I added 2 power supplies to the power enclosure, and they don't seem to power on.
Carsten Reinhard
Frequent Advisor

Pete,

why do you think, the power supplies won't getting active. What's the status of the LEDs of those power supplies?
Pete LaBrec2

The LED's never light up. they are brand new, so the chances of them being bad are slim to none, but I'm going to try 2 other ones that i have.
Carsten Reinhard
Frequent Advisor

Pete,

if nothing wae changed on the power enclsore the power supplies should power up and run permanently. You can configure them to just power up on demand but then they will even power up on insert for about 20 seconds and then go to hot-standby. The LED should blink in this mode. Sounds, you have a kind of defect either with the supplies or with the enclosure. But like Anand said it is a good idea to bring them all to the latest firmware, as the HP support asks you to do as well before any intervention.
Carsten Reinhard
Frequent Advisor

Ehm, just one stupid question, I know it's very simple but did you connect a power cable to the new slots of the power enclosure and are you sure you have power on both slots?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Yes.....each power supply needs to have it's only power connection in the back. Are slots 3 and 6 plugged in?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Pete LaBrec2

Forgive me for not knowing much about this, as i was mistaken. it is a 3U not a 1U. It also has two bus bars (a,b).