cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preparing ML350 G3 for Windows Server 2003 SP1

Kuhn Ip
Occasional Visitor

Preparing ML350 G3 for Windows Server 2003 SP1

I want to apply Service Pack 1 to a Proliant ML350 G3 server (running Win Server 2003). In preparation I have been upgrading firmware and drivers for the hardware.

I have encountered a problem with upgrading the BIOS to the recommended level - (D14) version 2004.09.15. This upgrade is considered critical (it's an upgrade to the processor microcode) and without it, I can't proceed further.

Whenever I update the firmware, it completes successfully. On reboot however, it will run through POST successfully but as soon as it goes to load the OS, it crashes and restarts. Rolling back to the previous firmware allows the server to start up again.

It is booting off a Smart Array 6400 controller, with SCSI disks (in RAID).

I would appreciate any help. Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks.
2 REPLIES
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: Preparing ML350 G3 for Windows Server 2003 SP1

Hi,

If you were trying the online ROM flash utility for your BIOS upgrade, try the diskette based update instead just in case there was a problem when online.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/21988.html

You will need 1 blank floppy disk for the update.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Kuhn Ip
Occasional Visitor

Re: Preparing ML350 G3 for Windows Server 2003 SP1

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried an off-line firmware upgrade via diskette and via the firmware maintenance CD without any change to the result.

All firmware is up-to-date (including the SCSI hard drives). Drivers are up-to-date (done via the support CD and downloads from the website).

Any other thoughts?