New Discussion юеВ

Prliant ML310 G4 wont boot

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jimmy Basra
Occasional Advisor

Prliant ML310 G4 wont boot

Hello All,

Today i shutdown my server for maintains, and after that when i try to power it on, it powers on, but no post and no display

external LED for health is red, and on the system board LED6 is red for fault CPU, and LED1 is red for VRM fault.
I tried the following
1. Resaet the CPU and RAM
2. Detached all the cables and add ins from the servers
Any help would be greate
9 REPLIES 9
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Prliant ML310 G4 wont boot

Hello Jimmy,

I believe this server is a single processor server. Hence, I would guess the VRM or the PPM is an integrated one. To eliminate VRM as the faulty part, try another processor.
If no Joy, you will need to replace the system board.

Regards.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Jimmy,

The normal troubleshooting procedure would be to fix the "external" fault first since any internal fault leds may be on as a result of power problems.

I would suggest checking the power supply by replacement if possible. If you have the standard power supply (non hotplug) the spare part number is 432477-001. If you have the hotplug power supplies installed then the problem may be the PSU or the hotplug backplane. Hotplug PSU is spare part 432479-001 and hotplug backplane is 432478-001. If you have two hotplug power supplies, try only 1 at a time. If they both fail it might indicate the backplane is faulty.

The server should hopefully still be under warranty if it's a G4.

I hope this helps,

Brian
binoyskylark
Frequent Advisor

reset the ROM and try
Binoy.p.p
HP AIS Blade system Integration
Jimmy Basra
Occasional Advisor

Hello All,

Thanks for your replies,

I tried with diffrente PS, but no luck
i dont have sapre processor so i coudn't eliminate this to as a bad CPU but it looks like either a system board or CPU is faulty.

Anyway I am getting same server ML310 G4 with all the matching components and my question is will i be able to boot the server from old HDD

thanks
Jimmy
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

HP Smart Array controllers support drive roaming, which allows administrators to move hard drives and arrays while maintaining data availability. Drive roaming allows administrators to move one or more hard drives that are members of a configured logical drive to a different bay position as long as the new bay position is accessible by the same Controller. In addition, it allows administrators to move a complete array from one controller to another, even if controllers are in different servers.

Regards.
Jimmy Basra
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your reply,

But i dont have any set of logical drive, i mean no raid is defind it is just a 80GB SATA HDD hooked on borad SATA controller
and i am running windows server 2003 standred Edition

will there be a any problem or it will boot up okay?

James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Then I dont think there should be an issue Jimmy; its just a matter of setting the correct boot order.

;)

Regards.
Jimmy Basra
Occasional Advisor

Hey thanks again for prompt reply,

New server just booted up fine.

You know what, i was looked at the event logs and when i shoutdown the server from remote location, it gave me warning that server wont be available utill it restart from remote location "event ID 26"

i think something locks up on the server thats why it powers on but wont post

James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor