ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752815 Members
6199 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ProLiant 1600 processor option

johnmdahl

ProLiant 1600 processor option

I have an old Proliant 1600, and want to put a couple processors in it. Server cage is marked rev. OF, if that's any help. Thanks,

John
8 REPLIES 8
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Re: ProLiant 1600 processor option

johnmdahl

That doesn't really say anything about what processors one can use in the system.
johnmdahl

Thanks for your efforts, but again none of these references tell you which processors can be used in this system. I know it's not just the 266 and 300, because there are 450MHz Pentium IIs in the system right now.

John
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

One quick way of looking for parts is eBay.
Type in the system and use the search.

The system is older but parts are still available.

Take a look around the case and see if you find a sticker which will be about 1/4 by 2 inches. It will have the system as built.

My PL 1850R reads: 6/500 512 128 US

You can check for a part number on the cpu. It should have a six numbers followed by a dash with three numbers.

Hope this helps you out.

Sincerely, Mark.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

Your current Processor Board should have a sticker stating "Replace with Compaq Spare 313622-001". This board (313622-001) was capable of housing CPU's upto 600Mhz all running with a FSB of 100Mhz.

The Processor Power Module (PPM) which accompanies each CPU however changed at the 500Mhz PIII version. So if you have a 450Mhz CPU you will have the older PPM installed. If you plan to upgrade to dual 550Mhz CPU's for example you will need to purchase 2 X CPU's and 2X PPM's (newer ones). Even replacing an existing CPU (450Mhz) to say 550Mhz would again require the PPM to be replaced.

The memory does not need to be replaced however when you upgrade the CPU's (100Mhz).

I have attached some more information to hopefully assist you make an informed decision on any future upgrade and included memory parts only in case you wish to add more. (See attached image)

Parts can be obtained on Ebay as suggested or on HP Partsurfer.

http://partsurfer.hp.com

I hope this helps.

Brian

Peter Pasztor

I just purchased a ProLiant 1600 with 2 PIII 500s in it. AFAIK it's only possible to upgrade the machine to PIII 600 CPUs. What would happen if I manage to get two higher speed, yet still 100MHz FSB CPUs, and the appropriate VRMs, and just plug them in? By the way, if there an appropriate VRM for higher clock PIIIs? (I'm not sure if there are any PIIIs above 600 MHz, with 100 MHz clock...)
Peter Pasztor

Hmmm, turned out that the seller was mistaken, and the machine had 2x400MHz PII CPUs, and when he tried to put the PIII500s in the machine, it reported unsupported CPU... Now what? How can I upgrade it?