1748267 Members
3708 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant 1850 - Power Supplies Problems

Baumgartl Alex
Frequent Advisor

ProLiant 1850 - Power Supplies Problems

Hi, I have a problem with the Powersupplies concerning a ProLiant PL1850R Server. Config: NT4 Server, German, Servicepack 6a. Pentium PIII - 600 MHz, 512 MB - Ram, Smart 2-DH, 3x 9,1 HDD. Scenario: Fact is that: When I put one Powersupply into the Server in Bay 1 and Plug in, then: No reaction follows. When I put 2 Powersupplies into the Server and plug in, then: No reaction follows. When i put 2 Powersupplies into the Server and only one is connected (plug in) then: The Server works properly. The failure happened suddenly without an obvious reason. The Firmware standards is up to date from all components in the Server. Spare No.from all Powersupplies is: 283623-001. i have exchanged the power backplane, but no success. please help me :-(
5 REPLIES 5
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Alex,
Please have a look at the following Service Advisory:

SERVICE ADVISORY

NO:
EL990514_SW02
REVISION: 1
PLATFORM:
ProLiant 1600, ProLiant 1850R, ProLiant 2500

MARKET GEO:
Worldwide
DATE:
July 2003

SUBJECT:
Installation Instructions for Hot-Plug Redundant Power Supply Option Kit (225W/48 VDC Input) for ProLiant 1600, ProLiant 1850R, and ProLiant 2500 Servers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DESCRIPTION
The installation card included with the Hot-Plug Redundant Power Supply (225W, 48 VDC Input) (Option Part Number 328065-B21) does not document clearly the procedural steps for connecting the DC input power.
NOTE: An incorrect connection of the DC input power prevents the power supply from operating but does not cause equipment damage.

PRODUCTS AFFECTED
This issue affects any ProLiant 1600, ProLiant 1850R, or ProLiant 2500 Server configured with a hot-plug redundant power supply (225W, 48 VDC Input) (Option Part Number 328065-B21).
RESOLUTION/SOLUTION
To resolve this issue, the hot-plug redundant power supply must be installed using the procedure in the "Service Action" section.

NOTE: Because the hot-plug redundant power supply is end-user-installable, the installation procedure described in the "Service Action" section can be performed by customers who feel comfortable doing the installation or by an Authorized Service Provider (ASP).

SERVICE ACTION
Perform the following steps to correctly install the hot-plug redundant power supply:

NOTE: This procedure can be performed by either the customer or an ASP, depending on the customer's comfort level with performing the procedure.

Connect the DC power-supply wiring harness to the -48 VDC terminal and the -48 VDC return terminal, using the appropriate wiring configuration for the type of wiring harness used, as follows:

For a wiring harness with red, black, and green-and-yellow-striped wires, connect the black wire to the -48 VDC terminal and the red wire to the -48 VDC return terminal.

For a wiring harness with blue, black, and green-and-yellow-striped wires, connect the blue wire to the -48 VDC terminal and the black wire to the -48 VDC return terminal.

Connect the green-and-yellow-striped wire (earth ground) to the green terminal block on the power supply.

COMPONENTS AFFECTED: Power Supplies Hot Plugs
OPERATING SYSTEMS AFFECTED: Non-OS Specific
SOFTWARE AFFECTED: Non-software specific
THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS AFFECTED: None
DOWNLOADABLE FILES: None
PROACTIVE: No

Also I have found a different part no as well. I have attached the picture. Please give it a try and let me know.

Regards,
Baumgartl Alex
Frequent Advisor

thanks. I know the article also, but where can I find a connection diagram for the connections. what i mean is: how can i see e.g. -48 VDC terminal? this ar the wrong spare part from Powersupply? But i have no reaktion with only one powersupplay. Regards
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Alex,

It may be one of the power related cables (See attached diagram). If you have already changed the power backplane then there may be a problem with one of these.

I believe what you are saying earlier in reply to Sunil is that you are using AC power supplies and not the optional DC power supplies.

Regards,

Brian

Baumgartl Alex
Frequent Advisor

Thank you Brian. I have still some questions:
can you tell me, why i need dc powersupplies? what is the spare number from the dc powersupply?
Regards Alex :-)
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Alex,

You do not require DC power supplies. The power supply choices are either AC (standard) or DC (optional).

Your problem is unlikely to be fixed if you change to DC power supplies and this would be an expensive change.

Check the power cables for burned connections and damaged or loose pins.

Regards,

Brian