ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748067 Members
5540 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant 2000 5/66 upgrades...

M Smith_1

ProLiant 2000 5/66 upgrades...

I have just inherited a single processor Proliant 2000 5/66 ser that I would love to press into active service here on my personal network, but I know little about them. I have grabbed about all the information that I could from the retired servers webpage, but I still find myself short of information.

I would like to load up unix on it (i have SCO, and assorted Linux distro's), and use it as a Web/FTP/File server.

The single P66 processor is a little slow for what I need tho, how high up the pentium scale can this thing go? I have seen reference to P166 boards being made to fit in the 2000, will they work?

How about more than 2 boards? I know there is 4 processor slots in the I/O board, can I use more than 2 boards (I am aware of the DIP switch for this purpose)?

Thanks in advance, I love playing with older hardware like this, just not sure where to look for more detailed information on this machine. :)
Some dumb mutha always trying to swim up stream. And it's usually me.
3 REPLIES 3
Ron Amos
Valued Contributor

Hi M. Smith,

Upgradability -- Processor board is upgradeable -- 486/50, Pentium 5/66, and 5/90 MHz ??? Just (2) Processor capability

Service Guide is available: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/techpubs/maintenance_guides/ProLiant_1_2_4/index.html

Ron
There are some people who live in a dream world
Charles Cosby_3
Advisor

I have the same system at home. When I bought it, it had a single P90 CPU and card. I purchased 3 more cards, CPU's and heat sinks. After the second CPU (3rd or 4th) are installed you need not only to flip the dip switch to enable them but you need to install another fan (or jumper the connector on the system board) You can buy up to P166 boards for this, but they are hard to find. If you are handy with a soldering iron, can pick up some P100 boards (1.5 * 66), short out a few jumpers and make it run a 166 CPU (2.5 * 66). Some of the boards are 60 and some 66 and you cannot change the speed without a lot of surgery but you can change the multiplier. I currently have 4 - 166's but since they are in 90 motherboards(1.5 * 60), only are running at 150 (2.5 * 60)

Of course this would void the warranty :-??
Mike Davis_5

I have just recently aquired two proliant 2000 5/66 servers. As I type this Windows NT is installing. Between the two i have built one good machine.It currently has two 66mhz processor boards in it along with 163mb of ram. I would like to upgrade the processor(s) to as many and as fast as i can. If possible after the upgrades would it be feasible to run windows 2000 pro on it? Any information is better than no information. TIA!
"...If it still P.O.S.T.s its not overclocked enough..."