ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748060 Members
5443 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant 3000 Does not start

Peter Kenis

ProLiant 3000 Does not start

Our Proliant was inactive during 5 months. Now I turned it back on and there is no fan turning. Only the display is working. Any suggesions. THanks in advance.
Peter
8 REPLIES 8
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Could you please supply more info. Eager to help.

Tell us about the LEDs on the front panel of the server. What do you mean when you say display is working? What OS are you running?

Can you boot off the floppy and try to upgrade the system BIOS to the latest firmware? This will atleast indicate that the system board is responsive.

Just a start anyway...

Regards,

Peter Kenis

Well when I turn it on, there is no single fan that is turning. Only on the display (on the front of the server) is 'Compaq LCD Model # 56022 LCD Firmware 1.9'.
There are 5 disk in the server with a capacity of 4,3 GB (each). It must be a hardware problem because nothing is turning. The os is Novell 4 but we want to format it and make it a Windows 2000 backup server.

Greetings,
Peter
Belgium.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi Peter,

Try the follwoing options:

Use the system switch to clear the nvram then check it. Remove hdd before doing same.

Try to boot serve without the frontpanel then check again.

If still problem presit we need to go for System ROMpaq Disaster Recovery Procedure.

regards,
Prashant S.

Nothing is impossible
Peter Kenis

Hello,

I did clear the NVRam with the switch clr cfg. I also removed all the disks. But still there isn't anything turning or making noise.

Can you give me some other advice what I could try??

Greetings,
Peter.
Belgium
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hey Peter,

strange...what I am going to suggest is also not supported as far as health and safety goes...but I guess there is nothing much to lose here...so you may wish to try this:

Open the front cover of the server so you can take a look at the interior of the server completely. Take proper pre-cautions and then apply power to the box. Do you see any activity inside the box, any light, any fans functional at all?

Let us know what you find.

Regards,
Peter Kenis

Hey Saket,

No we don't see any lights in the box. Only the two green power lamps on the powersupply are burning. There isn't any fan turning.

Greetings,
Peter.
e4services
Honored Contributor

There are many points that can set the server to not power up. If the unit just sat, it could be that a connection that was once marginal, is now not being made.
I would start by removing and re-seating everything in the box, including the cables, power supplies, fans, CPUs and memory.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Rackem4me
Frequent Advisor

If I remember correctly, the PL3000 is one of the models that they put the stupid (sorry) interlock switch in. It will not power up with the top and side panels removed. You can however jam a screwdriver in the interlock switch. (you won't find this in the best practices doc :-))