108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ProLiant 5500 â Power and Fan Redundancy

SOLVED
Go to solution
Baumgartl Alex
Frequent Advisor

ProLiant 5500 â Power and Fan Redundancy

Hi. I have Problems with a ProLiant 5500.
HW Config:
Win NT 4 SP6a german
Latest Firmware
4x200 MHz Ppro
3x9,1 GB â on SA 2-DH
All Fans are redundancy
2 Power Supplies

When I take the Fans in redundancy mode (all Fans Installed without Fan5) then I get a CPU overheat after 10min. It has the appearance as to work the fans very slowly, but no performance problems.

When I remove the redundant partners and Install Fan5 (Standard Mode), the Server works successfully.

I have already change the Sysboard and the Fans, but cant resolve this problem.

Please can you help
4 REPLIES 4
Brent_34
Frequent Advisor

The PPro model ships with 3 standard fans wich are necessary for the system to run correctly.

Fan 5 is the Rear auxiliary processor fan. This fan is required along with fan 4 ( primary IO fan) and fan 2 ( Primary processor fan )for the system to run correctly.

Fan 1 and 3 are the redundant processor and IO fans respectively. They are the ones in the very front left and right of the server.

Hope this helps
Brent_34
Frequent Advisor

This image shows the 3 standard fans in the PPro system

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/ProLiant5500r/overview.html
Baumgartl Alex
Frequent Advisor

Hi Brent. THX for your comment, but the places of the fans is not the problem. The places of the fans are correct and the fan 5 must be remove when the fans in redundancy mode. With this constillation the cpu bekames overheat.
Brent_34
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hello

The xeon versions only require 2 standard fans and can hold 4 fans if the redundant fans are installed.

The PPro models do need the standard 3 fans to operate normally. The 2 optional I/O and CPU fans can be added to this for redundancy only.

In the below setup and installation guide (for the PPro model )on page 66 of 136 there is a layout of the system board. Note the 5 fan header locations to attach the fan cables to.

13 - CPU fan header
14 - I/O fan header
15 - Redundant I/O fan header
28 - Redundant CPU fan header
29 - CPU fan header

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/ProLiant5500-SetupInstallGuide.pdf

Even if redundant fans are added,
the system will overheat if the 3 standard fans are not in place.