4237 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant 5500 - Bad performance

Harrison Midkiff
Occasional Contributor

ProLiant 5500 - Bad performance

Hello:

I have a Proliant 5500 server. It current configuration is 2 9 GB 7,200 rpm drives in a mirror with the OS installed and 3 72 GB 15,000 rpm drives on a RAID 5. Both are running on the same SCSI channel on a 3200 controller. The server is just a file server and the data is being maintained on the RAID 5 array. Performance opening files has been very bad, almost unacceptable. With drive cage all the disks are running on the same SCSI channel. The server is running Windows 2000 with all lates hot fixes and SmartStart 5.5. Does anyone know what I might be able to do to increase the performance?
4 REPLIES 4
Stuart_45
Advisor

Try checking the ratio of Read/Write cache on the controller. It may be set to 100% write and 0% read.
Harrison Midkiff
Occasional Contributor

Stuart:

Thanks for replying to my post. My caching is set for 50% read 50% write. There is one other thing. On the drive cage I have both 7,200 rpm drives and 15,000 rpm drives. The 7,200 rpm drives are in one array and the 15,000 rpm drives are in another array. I don't think that if drives of different rpm's are in the cage it would slow the array down to the slowest drives but I am not sure with the performance I am seeing. Any suggestions...
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

Since you have clearly mentioned that the 2 arrays have different speed hard drive itself explains the fact it will not slow down the server performance, this can be because of other reasons,maybe it is the operating system not sure.

Rgds

HGN
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

9GB Drive with 7200 max U2
Your Drives 72GB what hey are U320 U3?
As they used on the same Channel 72GB Drive downshifted to U2
Backplane U2, SCSI Cables U2
3200 controller not big on cache (including read/write), so performance will be slow
Also Updates? Make latest Firmware and Driver.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/index.html