Did you mean: 

ProLiant 5500 Won't Boot Smart Start CD

Ryan Hobbs_1
Occasional Visitor

ProLiant 5500 Won't Boot Smart Start CD

ProLiant 5500 P12
with SA 4200
5 x 18.2 10k UW2 SCSCI

Was running NT 4 Server. Inserted Smartstart 4.8 CD to run Array Configuration to change from 5x RAID5 to 2x RAID1 & 3X RAID5. Everything seemed to go fine (received warning about a drive needing to be replaced soon due to immenent failure upon reboots). Updated BIOS from (11/??/1999 ??) to latest 4.13a (11/2000). Booted from Floppy System Erase Utility 1.70 (Erase Utility from SS CD is 1.54 or so). Everything Erased fine -- after which I realized I wasted some time doing an Array Configuration as it was to just be erased again).

Now I can't boot from CD. Any CD -- Windows 2k3 server, 2k server.. or Smart Start CD. I get a problem very close to:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=716493758+1105656199406+28353475&threadId=70682

I would then be notified to Run the Configuration Utility. Then Press "F1" key to continue or Press the "F10" key for System Partition Utilities. Both give the same result: Invalid system disk replace the disk, then press any key. I have tried multiple SmartStart CD's (v 4.8 only) and have also used the erase utiilty given by those 4.8 cd's (1.54 -- i think). I have tried going back to an earlier BIOS. I have turned on switch 6 and back off.. I can't install Windows as the Array isn't configured. From what I understand, there is not bootable floppy option to configure the Array for the 4200 controller!!! It is located on the bootable Smartstart Cd which I can't boot to!!! Is there a floppy disk to load the Smartstart CD??

I am at a loss.. please, please help!
3 REPLIES 3
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: ProLiant 5500 Won't Boot Smart Start CD

Can you try to run erase utility once more after install SCU from SP19619?
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html
System detects CD ROM over POST? If you get Luck with SCU try boot after from CD, Verify if you can see it from F10.
Also Cd ROM should be set to CS (cable Select)
Ryan Hobbs_1
Occasional Visitor

I can verify that I tried to run the erase utility (1.70a from floppy) after running SCU 2.58a from the 4 floppy disks (actually only ever used the first two)... still to no avail. This weekend I opened the server and verified connection were secure as well as that the drive was set to CS (cable select).. i did discover that the drive was connected to the customary slave IDE connection (the first connector - vs the end) of the IDE ribbon. I left both alone.

However I can now say that I successfully booted both the SmartStart CD as well as from OS bootable media!! While I had the CD-Rom exposed, I took the liberty in replacing the drive with a KNOWN working model. Also, before attempting to boot from the CD I removed all SCSI drives and replaced with a single drive of a different capacity than the 5 that were in there. (I mentioned prior that I had a drive that the array was reporting needed replaced due to imminent failure).

So, even though I changed two things (unsure of which actually it was that solved the problem) I did get a message about the drive configuration being changed when I removed the original disks (which I did NOT get simply by moving their positions -- they were all the same capacity and were not configured yet as I had run the erase utility - alot).

What puzzles me about all of this is that the CD booted fine prior to the BIOS upgrade with the original CD-Rom intact as well as the warning about replacing the drive. After the BIOS update is when I experienced the problem. So, your guess is as good as mine as to which it was.. removing all the SCSI HDD's or replacing the CD-Rom..

I would urge others with similar symptoms to attempt to replace the CD-ROM anyways just for thoroughness sake.
Ryan Hobbs_1
Occasional Visitor

Closing due to previous post.