cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProLiant 6400R & Gigabit NICs

sgunelius
Valued Contributor

ProLiant 6400R & Gigabit NICs

I've got a few of these 6400Rs running W2K/W2K3 still in service, but they're all running the original NC3131 100MB network adapters. What Compaq/HP branded Gigabit adapters have you found to be compatible with this old server? Thank you in advance for your response.

Cheers,

Scott
3 REPLIES
u84823
Regular Advisor

Re: ProLiant 6400R & Gigabit NICs

Looks like 1000-base-TX (copper) wasn't ratified at the time, only SX and LX options listed:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10047_div/10047_div.html

You could get another NC3131 or one or more NC3132 (dual-port) and create a team, if your switches support Etherchannel.
sgunelius
Valued Contributor

Thank you for your response. I did see that there was a Gigabit upgrade module (NC7132) available for the NC3131 and also saw the NC7131. Anyone use these with the 6400R? Thanks.
wobbe
Respected Contributor

I used those contollers in my old 5500 servers. If I'm not mistaken they are about the same age as the 6400. (almost 10 years old) I don't think you should have any problems with those nic's. Infact I think most pci-x nic's should work just fine. You could even install normal pci cards I've tested it with a cheap-ass intel card and it worked. Not sure if you can get the 1000mbit troughput with standard 33mhz pci interface.
I'm not sure but you might have problems with the HP teaming software if you use other brands nic. Never tested this.