Did you mean: 

ProLiant 6500: Dual supply to single?

SOLVED
Go to solution
LaneB
Frequent Advisor

ProLiant 6500: Dual supply to single?

Fellow server users,

I have a ProLiant 6500 configured to use dual (redundant) power supplies. One of those supplies has failed, and I will not be able to get a replacement until Monday.

I seem to recall that there is a way to configure the 6500 to run off a single power supply, but I can't find any reference to doing so.

If anyone knows how to do this, I would greatly appreciate it if you could pass on the trick.

Thanks much.

---
Bruce Lane, Owner & Head Hardware Heavy,
Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
kyrrin (at) bluefeathertech dot calm
Got Qwoob?
3 REPLIES
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ProLiant 6500: Dual supply to single?

Hi Bruce,

The Proliant 6500 should run OK with one power supply physically removed. Each PSU is rated at 500Watt with a 110V AC input.

The only problem may be where the system components which are installed exceed the 500 watts provided by a single PSU. The power rating at 220V AC is 750 Watts. So if you have a system which exceeds the 500Watt limit with a single PSU at 110V you will have to run it temporarily at 220V AC if possible.

A note on this is attached.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

Brian

LaneB
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, Brian! I actually found that out earlier this morning. My assumption that something else needed to be done was prompted by the fact that the server was not starting back up with a single supply plugged in.

However, after killing ALL the power, and reseating the boards, it did so. Thanks again, and I'll simply plan on replacing the bad supply on Monday.
Got Qwoob?
LaneB
Frequent Advisor

It seems (and Brian confirmed it) that the 6500 should indeed be able to start and run with a single power supply IF the combined load of the system components does not exceed 500 watts (mine doesn't, I know that much).

I'm not sure why the server wouldn't start back up initially... probably just confused. Anyway, removal of all power, and reseating of the CPU and memory boards, took care of it.
Got Qwoob?