108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant 800 HELP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Krysune
Advisor

ProLiant 800 HELP

Alright, is there any other power supplys besides the 240W on this server? I need to know a cheap graphics card also, as I want to hook a monitor to this, but it only has serial ports.

This thing is pretty old as we know, I only wanted it as my personal workstation/server at home.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not.
2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes, it's probably about 10 years old now.

HP doesn't even seem to have the documentation available for it any more. But with a bit of Googling I managed to find the Service Guide for ProLiant 800:

http://www.compucanjes.com/manuales/c01132693.pdf

According to the diagram on page 4-2 (106 in the PDF viewer) it *does* have a VGA display connector. (This server is so old it probably doesn't have the standard connector identification colours.)

The integrated graphics chip is probably typical for server-grade systems of its age (i.e. just enough to install and configure Windows 2000 Server).

Wow, according to the documentation, it even has ISA slots in addition to PCI ones! That's a blast from the past, indeed...

Since this server has no hope of having any PCIe or even AGP slots, very few of the modern graphics cards will fit it.

MK
MK
Krysune
Advisor

Thanks for that PDF, needed that badly. It does state it has a video port, but in place of it it has serial ports. It has PCI ports, would a low end card work? Just enough to at least bring up a screen and install an operating system?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not.