ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751714 Members
5354 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant 800 to which HP server

David Buley_1

ProLiant 800 to which HP server

I want to upgrade my ProLiant 800 which runs Netware 5.1 to a new Compaq server. Which server could I buy where I can just transfer the existing scsi Hard Drives into the new servers without much trouble? I understand that the DL380 for example uses Hot-Plug drives which aren't compatible with the fixed drives on the 800.
7 REPLIES 7
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi David,

If you are talking about moving hte hdd from one serve to other with any trouble yes it can be done. But the catch is server has to be identical. If server has to be identical it means no upgraded server we have.

Doccument which say transfer is possible.
http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?source=EX000818_CW01.xml&dt=3

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
David Buley_1

Thanks for the prompt reply. I realise I would have to change some drivers on the Netware system to recongnise the new setup. I was more asking about which of the current HP servers would handle the hard drives in my 800 without me having to run-up a new system and copy all of the existing files across. I will have a look at the document that you suggest too.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

where as there is no such comnpatibility matrix from Proliant HDD -> to Netserver HDD where it is non hot plug drive my assumption is we can use them.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
e4services
Honored Contributor

David,

You can use your exist fixed drives over again in a new server, there is always a place for fixed drives no matter what you buy, but to get the OS to actually boot will be trouble. For example, drivers used in the old server for video will not be compatible with the video of the new server and crash. THe only way I have seen this done, is to remove all the drivers from the origin system before the drives are remove. That is, reconfiguring to generic drivers if that is possible, by simply uninstalling all the existing hardware. In windows this can be done, not easy but straight forward, from the device manager. Just go in and delete all the installed devices including the system devices for the system board, and shut down the system without installing thwm again. THen when it restarts in the new system it will search for new devices. Of course this is not always fool proof and the system can crash due to some DLL loading that is not supported.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
David Buley_1

Thats what I thought but the techie said they only use hot plug drives with no space for fixed drives. I guess I'll have to ask HP direct.
e4services
Honored Contributor

Ah, you say in the NEW server, they tell you there is no space for an internal drive? Well that would depend on which server, which I guess was your original question.
Yes, as they told you, the DL series are blade servers, and yes they do not have a place for internal HD's only hotswap.
You need to go to an ML series
Hot Swap Hard Drives
David Buley_1

Ahh, someone who knows what they are talking about. Thank you, I will follow that up. Just to continue though, are any of the ML series rack-mountable?