Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProLiant DL100 G2 server not booting

SidHussey
Occasional Visitor

ProLiant DL100 G2 server not booting

Hi everyone,

Hope all is going well with you all.

its not so much for us. :( Our storage server is down (ProLiant DL100 G2). It is not displaying anything on the monitor.

when plugged in it powers on for about 3 secs (we can hear the fans go full speed) and then dies down without any beeps or warnings.

when opening the lid, noticed 2 flashing LEDs CR11 and CR15.

I cannot find any documentation on thoese LEDs activity to understand what is the cause.

I have tried to reseat and replug in all the cables, but no luck.

As it is RAID 5 setup, I am skeptical of unplugging any harddrive and powering it on in case the RAID config gets messed up.

I also think it is the power supply, but i do see all the fans spin at top speed during its 3 sec boot. Maybe voltage regulator...

Any suggestions.. please?

Thanks

Sid

3 REPLIES
chinmay
Frequent Advisor

Re: ProLiant DL100 G2 server not booting

Hi Sid,

CR error LED's refer either to BMC (Baseboard Management Controller) / Controller / Memory. For power related we have diff leds on the sys board.

• CR15 usually refers to Multi bit error
  • CR11 usually refers to controller battery being charged/charging

This server has SATA RAID controller (not sure if you have installed additional), so am not sure if you have installed battery to the controller/server. At this point of time we can concentrate on CR15 and try to diagnose the issue. And if it gets fix we can check CR11. Before proceeding I would like to inform you about the multibit error, which will be easier to understand the issue.
Multibit: The memory bus is a circuit that consists of two parts: the data bus and the address bus. The data bus is a set of traces that carry the actual data to and from SDRAM. Each trace carries one data bit at a given time. Today’s computers have a 64-bit wide data bus, which means that the bus transports 64 bits at a time. These 64 bits constitute an ECC data word. An error in one bit of a data word is called a single-bit error. An error in more than one bit of a data word is called a multi-bit error.

Ultimately, the causes may vary. However, it seems the error is associated with uncorrectable ECC errors on the memory. Hence we can try the below steps to isolate the issue.

• Use diagnostics or other isolation techniques to identify the affected memory module. Check for third party memory. If installed remove it
  • Try with bare min configuration (1cpu,2dimm, exclude any riser cage or card connected) if possible get a set of known good Dimm.
  • If the server comes up check with technical support team and update the server firmware and especially the BMC firmware. The BMC firmware specifically addresses erroneous thermal shutdowns and may improve sensor readings and fan speed management.
  • If thermal errors remain present, concentrate on isolating the processors overheating has been observed to cause other subsystems to fail. Otherwise, isolate the memory active memory failures may cause false symptoms elsewhere Check for third party memory.
  • If the results are inconclusive or if there has been a thermal recurrence, you might have replace the system I/o board. If the results are inconclusive and CR15 is turned on, you might have to replace the system i/o board. If you have a spare SYS board, you can try.

Was the post useful? Please Acknowledge by clicking the white KUDOS Star!!!!!!!!
    -Chinmay Kabi Satpathy

SidHussey
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the help Chinmay...

I tried using different memory modules, still same issue unfortunately.
I removed the riser card to which the RAID was attached, same issue.

Any other ideas I can try?
chinmay
Frequent Advisor

You might have to replace the system i/o board. If you have a spare SYS board, you can try.

Was the post useful? Please Acknowledge by clicking the white KUDOS Star!!!!!!!!
-Chinmay Kabi Satpathy