ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748038 Members
5409 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant DL145 G2 will not start

Damien Moody

ProLiant DL145 G2 will not start

I picked up a used ProLiant DL145 G2. It seems to work well except for one frustrating issue.

Since I'm using it in a room where the internal fans it comes with produces far too much noise to live with, I designed an external cooling system. So the six internal fans have been removed.

The issue is that this machine will frequently refuse to start, even after being left off for several hours. I'm trying to find out why it does this. Is it expecting a tach signal from the fans?
3 REPLIES 3
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

it could be, i think you shouldn't remove anything from the server. The fans are not for playing there, but for cooling, i can really understand that the server producing lot of noise, but it's normal because the server class computer should be in the dedicated room ( server room or datacenter ).

mikap
Damien Moody

I didn't realise that the fans were not for playing there. I *thought* I heard giggling and running footsteps. I have since scolded those fans and told them to get back to work.
Marshall Penn
Advisor

Yeah, i have had a similar experience. I once had a DL380 G4 which had mouthy power supplies. They weren't very vocal, you would just hear a little comment as you left the server room, often just a single profanity. I always thought they were directed at me but it turns out the two power supplies were twins, and it was just sibling rivalry. It all stopped when i swapped one of each pair with another machine!