HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProLiant DL160 G5 with E200 controller recoginzes not all physical drives

chris1803
Occasional Visitor

ProLiant DL160 G5 with E200 controller recoginzes not all physical drives

Hi

I'm new to the hp world. I recently received an old hp ProLiant DL160 G5 server with an E200 SmartArray controller with a 128mb battery pack.

Since the former owner has thrown away the hdd, I decided to install four new 2TB drives. I would like to use the old machine for a private storage (holiday photos and documents).

For a first test, I only installed two of the four disks and created a logical drive with RAID 1. So far that worked and therefore I decided to add the two spare disks. When I deleted the logical drive and rebooted the system, the SmartArray controller didn't recognize the two new disks. I then updated the firmware of the controller, but no effect.

I tried another 2TB disk, but that one didn't show up on the ACU either. After several tries, I'm out of ideas.

Can anybody help me with that issue?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

2 REPLIES
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: ProLiant DL160 G5 with E200 controller recoginzes not all physical drives

Hi,

DL160 G5 QuickSpecs states as follows:

Internal Drive Support:
Support for up to four 3.5" Non-Hot plug serial ATA (SATA) hard drives or;
Support for up to four 3.5" Hot plug Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) or SATA hard drives.
NOTE: Installation of the Hot Plug Backplane 1U 2S Kit (445985-B21) is required if ordering third or fourth Hard Drives for Hot Plug models only.
Internal storage capacity of up to 1.0TB (4 x 1TB Hot Plug 3.5" SATA), 3.0TB (4 x 750 Non-Hot Plug SATA) or 4.0TB (4 x 1TB Hot Plug 3.5" SAS)

It could be that this server takes upto 4TB capacity, so installing more than 4TB is not being recognised.

OR

If you installed two of the four disks and it worked well and then you installed the 3rd and 4th disks in to the empty slots and it did not work, it could be that those slots or backplane could be faulty.

For testing purpose, install smaller capacity hard drives into all four slots and make sure all slots are working fine.

Good Luck

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

• Internal Drive Support:
    • Support for up to four 3.5" Non-Hot plug serial ATA (SATA) hard drives or;
    • Support for up to four 3.5" Hot plug Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) or SATA hard drives.
    • NOTE: Installation of the Hot Plug Backplane 1U 2S Kit (445985-B21) is required if ordering third or fourth Hard Drives for Hot Plug models only.
    • Internal storage capacity of up to 1.0TB (4 x 1TB Hot Plug 3.5" SATA), 3.0TB (4 x 750 Non-Hot Plug SATA) or 4.0TB (4 x 1TB Hot Plug 3.5" SAS)
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Re: ProLiant DL160 G5 with E200 controller recoginzes not all physical drives

Yeah, I'd guess that maybe the optional backplane for drives 3 and 4 isn't present in the system.

A quick look inside will answer for sure. See if the backplane is there and cables are running to it from the E200.

I think the E200 would be fine with drives that size... I can't think of any reason why it would have a problem with 4 x 2TB drives. The OS is another thing since MBR has some limits to deal with, but the array could be split into a smaller logical drive for the OS and then a larger drive for the data, which could be a GPT volume in Windows, for instance.