5637 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ProLiant DL160 G6 Lights Out 100 Password Reset

kirschnerm
Occasional Visitor

ProLiant DL160 G6 Lights Out 100 Password Reset

Hi!

I bought a ProLiant DL160 G6 off of eBay and it has a LO100 Remote Management Card installed. I tried to login with the default username/password combo but I had no luck (Browser, Telnet, SSH).

I've been searching for a solution for the last couple of days and tried all sorts of things mentioned in the various boards and blogs (flashing the BMC, downgrading it, BMC Recovery, IPMI Tool Method,...).

Yesterday I came across a Post that stated that in DL170e G6 Servers the LO100 password was "Compag" instead of admin (didn't work either).

Lo100cfg.exe -o currentconfig.xml resulted in an empty file...

I am new to HP ProLiant Servers and I don't even know if any of my attempts to reset the password actually worked or if my LO100 just has another default username/password combination?!?

Can anyone help me with this problem?

6 REPLIES 6
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi,

The Light out 100 default administrator account user name is admin, and the default password is admin.

refer to page no 8 of user guide:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.BINARYPORTLET/public/kb/docDisplay/resource.process/?spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay_ws_BI&spf_p.rid_kbDocDisplay=docDisplayResURL&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&spf_p.rst_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-resourceState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c02752580-1%257CdocLocale%253Den_US&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken,https://support.hpe.com/hpes...

once you update the system Bios and light out firmware reboot the server couple of times and power cycle it once after unplugging power and network cables. Reconnect power and network cables, turn the server back on and try the default password. Use webaccess to login.

hope this helps,

How to say thanks... Click on Star Kudos!

cheers

Ali

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

kirschnerm
Occasional Visitor

Hi Ali,

thank you for your reply, but as mentioned in the first post, I already tried the default login combos (admin/admin, Operator/Operator, admin/Compaq).

I also updated the system BIOS and LO frimware several times and power cycled after every try. I even tried to flash older BIOS versions as advised in some board or blog postings.

Using Ipmitool as stated by "aliog75" here: Link didn't work for me either.

Any other suggestions?

Regards

kirschnerm

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

As stated in the first post "LO100 Remote Management Card installed" is this a seperate card?

If YES, can you provide the HP Part number of this card so that we can check the solution to reset the password.

Other wise you can follow this document link.

Thank You!

I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

kirschnerm
Occasional Visitor

Hi Suman_AN!

I was just able to login to my LO100. I was looking at the user list in IPMITool and found that the 3rd username was "USERID".

So I tried USERID with password admin and I'm in. It seems that the reset attempts (flashing firmware, Ipmitool, etc.) did reset the password of the 3rd user but not its username.

Just out of curiosity I tried the steps outlined by coredump4 in the Link I posted above to enable user 6 (which has username "admin") and reset the password and it worked as well. Sadly I haven't read coredump4's post at first, would have saved me a lot of time.

Anyway, thank you very much for your reply!

Regards,

kirschnerm

Robsonr

I have gone through the pain of figuring out how to login into HP ILO 100, so I decided to share my findings for benefit of others.

Step1)

Use dos bootable USB memory stick with HP Dos version of ipmitool and reset password as outlined in the post by Kotate.

ipmitool.exe 20 18 47 03 02 61 64 6d 69 6e 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Try to login as admin/admin. If it works, you are done. If it doesn't work, somebody changed the user name. Continue with step 2.

Step2)

You need openipmi tools for Linux. That tool is able to list the users. HP Dos tool doesn't support same command line parameters and therefore you cannot use same syntax as shown bellow. Maybe there is a way how to do same with HP Dos ipmitool, but I didn't find how.

Use any Linux distribution you like. It can be Ubuntu live CD, Backtrack, or any other you are familiar with. Boot the server of that CD/USB. Either have ipmitool already installed prior to boot, or use commands to install it after successful boot.

This is not a detailed instruction how to install it on Linux and how to get it working, it is just general guide line, because I didn’t capture exact steps when I was doing it.

In my case I used Backtrack5 live CD. I booted of that CD and made all the changes to make sure that the server has access to Internet. Backtrack is Debian based distribution, so those steps should work with Ubuntu and other distributions as well.

Next update package repository information – apt-get update. When completed, you can search for packages by typing apt-cache search ipmi. I installed ipmitool package and few more (I don’t remember the exact list and I am not sure which are required except ipmitool). You also need to have ipmi kernel modules loaded, otherwise tool will complain that /dev/ipmi device driver is missing. Load the modules by modprobe <module name>. I loaded following modules: ipmi_msghandler and ipmi_si. After that you should have your device drivers and you are good to go.

Run command ipmitool user list. The command will list all the set users in your ILO. Look for user on position number 3. Use that user and password admin (set in a step number 1) to get into ILO.

The information about using Linux openipmi and ipmitool I found in this thread:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/DL145-G2-iLO-password-reset/m-p/5354213/highlight/true#M124225. Credit goes to coredump4.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

I also wanted to thank HP for making it soooo complicated. Why there is no factory reset which would help in such situation????

BilginOZTURK

Hi,

you can use LO100CFG  which is comming with  Smart Scripting tool (SP50308.exe)

first you sould to  get current config with;

lo100cfg.exe -s

this will show current config after that you should to create file like lc100cfg.xml and add

<lo100cfg>
<users>
<add_user id="3" name="admin" password="admin" privilege_level="administrator" />
</users>
</lo100cfg>

to create/overwirte user pasword just excute command bellow;

lo100cfg.exe -i lo100cfg.xml

this shoud help you.

Not sure but for some reason  admin user is locked and even upgrade LO100 admin user is not comming... so if you use my method should work...