1753835 Members
7884 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ProLiant DL320/360 Series & SATA

sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

ProLiant DL320/360 Series & SATA

I've recently started to look at some of the DL320/360 offerings that support SATA as replacements for applications currently support on DeskPro ENs. While I have full confidence that U320 and SAS would perform well in our environment supporting RAID1, I've had no experience with the SATA offerings. Can any of you provide some feedback on how pleased or displeased you've been with SATA on the DL320/360 platform? Thank you in advance for your responses.

Scott
3 REPLIES 3
Franko Bajlo
Occasional Advisor

Re: ProLiant DL320/360 Series & SATA

I have some serious problems with DL360 G4p in combination with 8 port SAS/SATA controller and 2 250GB SATA discs. I tryed to simulate a failed disk by changing one of two discs and it won't rebuild. All fresh drivers and firmware updated. And no help from HP!!!
sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

Franko,

I actually ended up abandoning consideration of the SAS/SATA models as the capacity and performance provided with SCSI models would meet our immediate needs. I know that HP will replacing all SCSI models with SAS/SATA in the near future, but for now the U320 SCSI is a good performing and known quantity in our data center.

I don't understand why you would have problems with the 8-port because it supposedly supports both RAID0 and RAID1, but there was firmware update in 2005 (see below) that addresses an issue with this controller and server model. Maybe you need to make sure you're running the latest firmware for system and controller as well as the latest ProLiant Support Pack (7.51). Good luck.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24049.html

Scott
sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

See previous post. When we require SAS performance or SATA capacity, we'll revisit this topic. Thank you for your responses.

Scott