New Discussion

Re: ProLiant DL320e Gen8 v2 is noisy

SOLVED
Go to solution
norby
Occasional Advisor

ProLiant DL320e Gen8 v2 is noisy

Hi,

I bought 3 ProLiant DL320e Gen8 v2 server for a customer, and now I'm searching for a solution to get rid of the noise...

Thank you there's hope. Unfortunatelly this ROM isn't for my server. Do I have to wait unil HP put this tho their download section?

P.S. This post and reply have been split off from other thread, moved to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL),  and edited its subject. - HP Forum Moderator

37 REPLIES 37
DrVladimir

Info about Fan

A few days ago I became the owner of this server. And at once there was a noise problem, because the server  at my home.  I will tell at once that I have RAID mode and a Fan speed by iLO is  6% only, but it is audible!  At night its noisy! I began to look for an info about the manufacturer and model of the fan and I found! Here it is  delta-americas.com/Products/FanUploads/Specification/AFB1212SH.pdf

3400 R.P.M! ?  46.5-49.5 acoustical noise level!?  Arу you kidding me?  Is it a fan for SOHO microserver of m.b. Part of the new Boeing?  

fishy007
Advisor

Re: Info about Fan

Hello Norby,

Do you have a P420 SAS contoller in your server?  I've got a DL380e G8 and I have a problem with fan noise as well. 

Flashpie

We are also suffering with the same noise issue. It looks to be the same issue as the MicroServer Gen8 noise issue. We have tested with the proprietary b120i RAID controller module and the fan noise comes down to acceptable levels. We have had a case open with HP support going for over a month whom have not been able to re-produce the issue. We have 10+ of these servers and all have the same issue, and all can be re-produced by installing a vanilla Linux distribution on them.

It looks the the MicroServer has got or is getting an official ROM update so I hope the same for the DL320e Gen8 V2 as well. It'll be nice if HP could at least give a ETA to fix.

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Let me grab one unit and test it really quick.  

For the mean time could you please post a couple of screenshots, one showing the FAN speeds, the other one showing the temperatures for each sensor?

This may apply because the system has the B120i too:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/mostViewedDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_efb5c0793523e51970c8fa22b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c04054419-1%257CdocLocale%253Den_US&javax.portlet.tpst=efb5c0793523e51970c8fa22b053ce01&sp4ts.oid=5379527&ac.admitted=139...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
ZakSmith
Advisor

I am awaiting some news on this issue as well.  I wrote a post in the MicroServer thread (we have one of those), but we are looking at getting a DL320e v2 also for another application.  The "requirement" to run drives off a fake raid controller to get reasonable fan performance is ridiculous.   Please fix.

norby
Occasional Advisor

I just discovered that my post got a new thread...

I take screenshots on monday as I get back to the office.

norby
Occasional Advisor

Re: Info about Fan

@fishy007 wrote:

Hello Norby,

Do you have a P420 SAS contoller in your server?  I've got a DL380e G8 and I have a problem with fan noise as well. 

No, it has B120i controller.

norby
Occasional Advisor

I took some screenshots. It was quite loud.