1752513 Members
5094 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ProLiant DL360 G5 New Memory Issue

STEVEN malone
Occasional Advisor

ProLiant DL360 G5 New Memory Issue

It currently has a mixed set of 1GB memory sticks. It works fine with this memory but its not enough as this is a new Virtual Server (So far running three VMs).

So we ordered and installed four 4GB Kingston FB-DIMMs PC2-5300 ECC 240 Pin...

All I would get from POST is a long steady beep.

Ive pulled the CMOS battery, changed through every slot and mem configuration, and used the switch to reset the config.

Booted fine after the original RAM was reinstalled.

Is this memory incompatible? Is there anything Im missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
Harry Lubansky
Super Advisor

This is what the RAM requirements are in the pdf.
Specification Value
Type FBDIMM, PC2-5300F, Fully-Buffered DIMMs
Size 512-MB, 1-GB, 2-GB, 4-GB, 8-GB
Width 72 bits
Upgrade
requirement *
FBDIMMs must be installed in pairs within a bank. A
bank must be populated with two FBDIMMs with
identical HP part numbers.
*Use only Registered DDR2 FBDIMMs. Use HP FBDIMMs only.

You may need to get with HP server support as to why your RAM didn't work, since your Kingston DIMMS look close to what HP recommends.

Here is your pdf
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00710376/c00710376.pdf

STEVEN malone
Occasional Advisor

Thank you, but Ive already seen this and according to it Ive installed it correctly.

Even stranger the memory it is currently running is mixed. At least brand wise, one set is HP and the other Samsung.

This time I tried it with the HP sticks installed and replaced the Samsung with the new Kingston. This time it at least booted and gave me the error 'incompatible DIMMS'. At least I know now that the BIOS sees this memory.

According to specification these Kingstons are right on the nose. So my guess now would be that its just too picky with its brand of memory...
Harry Lubansky
Super Advisor

Sorry to only show you what you already knew. You need true HP server support to resolve this, and a new server gives you the right to have HP help with this problem. You may need a new system board?? That is why HP should help.
didier benoiton

Do you find a solution please?
I have the same problem.
thank
coolhundal

I'm looking to upgrade the memory too. Please advise if anybody found the right memory that works for this unit.

Thanks Help Please!

Frans Ganzinga
Advisor

Could you be more clear on which dimm occupies which slot?

And if you only install the Kingston DIMM's?

Skotte
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I have had this problem in the past with G5 DL360s and DL380s.

I use Samsung PC2-5300 DDR2-667MHz ECC Dimms in my systems and they work fine, so have stuck with these from now.

Part number is

M395T5160QZ4-CE68 for the 4GB dimms

M395T5663QZ4-CE68 for the 2GB dimms

Hope this helps

Cheers

Leon

RayT-01
Occasional Visitor

I am having the same problem.  Has anyone found a solution, apart from trying different brands?

I've tried talking to HP support, but all he could do for me was read the PDF from the web site (which I had obviously already done myself).

Thanks,

Ray