1753717 Members
4833 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant DL360 G5 - RAID 5 Expansion

Josh Dinsdale

ProLiant DL360 G5 - RAID 5 Expansion

Hi Guys

Ive got a client who has run out of space on their DL360G5 Server.
They currently have 3 x 146GB SAS disks and I've discovered that I can add in a 4th disk, expand the array (its using a P400i controller), then use diskpart in windows to expand then logical drive.

If i installed a bigger drive in the 4th bay, (a 500GB SAS for example), i know that the array will only use 146gig of this.

The question I have is this:
If i then upgrade each of the existing disks to 500GB's (letting the array rebuild each time) will i then be able to expand the array to utilise the extra disk capacity?
5 REPLIES 5
TTr
Honored Contributor

What you are thinking of doing is possible. This feature is available with all the SA controllers. Of course you will not see the the space increase until you have replaced all drives.
Josh Dinsdale

Thanks TTr, thats really usefull. One more bit of clarification, the 400i controller spec states that you can 'mix and match' SAS and SATA drives. Am I right to assume then, that I can add a SATA Drive to the system and that this will be able to be added to the existing array, alongside the current SAS Drives to go towards the solution you confirmed for me before?
mstoumba1
Advisor

It would be so much faster just to use GHOST of Backup EXEC system recovery and just redo the array
TTr
Honored Contributor

I would not bother with the SAS drives. I vaguely remember that a warning against mixing-and-matching SAS and SATA. I don't know if you can mix-and-match in the same raid set or in the same controller but different raid sets for SAS and SATA. One thing is certain, if you can mix and match SAS and SATA in the same raid set (as in your case) the SATA drive would effectively slow down the raid set.
TTr
Honored Contributor

> I would not bother with the SAS drives
I meant to say "I would not bother with the SATA drives...