cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProLiant DL380 G3 - Hard Drive LED Combinations

Steven C Russell
Occasional Visitor

ProLiant DL380 G3 - Hard Drive LED Combinations

I have two mirrored drives in my server.

The LED lights on the top drive are:
Activity - Flashing
Online - On
Fault - Off

The bottom drive shows:
Activity - Flashing
Online - Off
Fault - Off

I shut down the server recently and removed the lower drive. Once rebooted, a new drive was inserted into the lower slot and, after the drives re-mirrored, the lights returned again to Flashing/Off/Off on the lower drive, just like before.

Since the Fault light is off, I feel that things should be ok... but I'm still worried since the Online light is off.

We have a second identical ProLiant server, and those LED drive lights are both Flashing/On/Off.

Should I worry?

How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance for help.

Steven
1 REPLY
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: ProLiant DL380 G3 - Hard Drive LED Combinations

Hi Steven,

The hotplug disk drives don't have any led's on them - they have fibre-pipes which project the light from the leds on the backplane slots up to the front of the drive.

You may have damaged or missing leds on the SCSI backplane. To test the LED's on the backplane simply run ACU and select the controller. All leds should light up and any which are not lit might indicate damage.

You can also physically check the 3 leds assigned to each SCSI ID slot by pulling out the drives and using a torch to check for damage/missing leds. Check with a good working slot first so you can check where the leds are located for each slot.

The DL380 G3 6-slot SCSI backplane part number is 289552-001 if required.

If you are good with a soldering iron the flat square type leds can be obtained from good electronics shops.

I hope this helps.

Brian