ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753943 Members
9084 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant DL380 G3 with a 4GB Partition - resize?

Glenn Brensinger_1

ProLiant DL380 G3 with a 4GB Partition - resize?

I ran the unattended setup for Windows 2000 Server using the SmartStart CD, then later found out that it only created a 4GB partition. If I look at Disk Administrator, it shows a 276.45GB NTFS volume on the bar graph, but the drive listing only shows C: as 4GB and there is no space left to create new paartitions. I found a knowledge base article confirming this to be a bug in the SmartStart CD.

I really do not want to have to go through setup again to fix this. Is there anything I can do to correct the problem, such as Partition Magic (which doesn't run on Server grrr) without having to reload everything from scratch? VolumeManager is not an option.

Glenn
9 REPLIES 9
Patrick Rouse
Frequent Advisor

Partition Magic will work on a Server OS if you use DOS version & a boot floppy(comes with every version of PQMagic). Just make sure you have a backup if this is a production machine since this is unsupported (they want you to buy Volume Manager)
Christo Lee

I am in the same boat....any 'supported' options?
Glenn Brensinger_1

I do have Partition Magic 8.0, so I will try the DOS disks to see if it can correct the 4GB mismatch. If I blow it up, then I reload and restore. I'm prepared to do that anyway.

I'll report back on what happens.

Glenn
Glenn Brensinger_1

I do have Partition Magic 8.0, so I will try the DOS disks to see if it can correct the 4GB mismatch. If I blow it up, then I reload and restore. I'm prepared to do that anyway.

Glenn
Glenn Brensinger_1

Glenn
Glenn Brensinger_1

Partition Magic 8.0 for DOS now checks for server. No go on that.

Partition Magic 5.01 loaded up okay, but it reported that the entire 280G drive was in use and it would not let me resize it. It also said there were no errors in the partition data.

Looks like I reload from scratch tomorrow. Grr...

Glenn
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

You can also download the free demo version of StorageWorks virtual replicator, which will let you resize an NTFS partition.
Glenn Brensinger
Occasional Advisor

StorageWorks requires a trial key, and so far HP has not sent one to me. I can't wait until tomorrow to do this.

Partition Magic 8 didn't work - it now checks for Server.

Parititon Magic 5 didn't work - it said the partition was already 280G.

First attempt using custom setup failed. Still gave me a 4GB partition that appeared to be a 280GB partition. I'm going to try again using a smaller boot partition.

Glenn
Glenn Brensinger
Occasional Advisor

Third attempt seems to be okay. I told the SmartStart attended setup that I wanted a 10GB system partition, and panicked when the NTFS conversion window came up and it was only a 4GB drive. However, after all the HP utilities installed and the system came up to a desktop, the C: drive is 9.76GB. Close enough for medical work. The remaining unused space was 270GB, which is now a D: data drive. Works for me.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

COMPAQ! Fix your SmartStart CD!! This problem was reported back before version 5! I'm using 6.3 and it's still broken???

Okay, I feel better now. :)

Glenn