ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752822 Members
4572 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant DL380 G4 Smart Array 6i configuration issues

Gerry McNamara

ProLiant DL380 G4 Smart Array 6i configuration issues

I am completely new to the 6i Smart Array so please forgive me. I have a new DL380 G4 with a 6i Smart Array and 6 hot swappable SCSI bays. I installed 5 hard drives plus a blank cartrdge and configured the RAID 5 plus installed Windows 2003 Standard server. I would like to install the 6th hot swappable hard drive as a stand alone (not part ofthe RAID 5 Smart Array) to us as a daily swappable backup. The problem is that when I install the 6th drive I can not see it as a seperate hard drive. It is there to add to the storage capacity of the RAID 5 if I run the Wizzard though. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I am not doing correctly? Thanks - Gerry
5 REPLIES 5
Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Hello Gerry,

I'm not sure if you mean you're trying to add a hot spare or if you want a drive that you can exchange after a backup is put onto that drive. If you're trying to add a hot spare, see the guide below. I'm not positive the other way will work as when you pull a single drive, it will fail that array and you will have to recreate it each time you swap it. This link is the Array config Utility User guide, should help you out!

Have a great day

Chris

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00294139/c00294139.pdf
Black holes are where God divided by zero - Steven Wright
Gerry McNamara

Chris
Thank you for the prompt reply. I am trying to add a drive that can be removed on a daily basis afte the backup has be put on it. I don't want it to be a part of the array. If this can be done. Thanks again - Gerry
Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Hello Gerry,

As far as I am aware, if it is plugged into the Array Controller, you would need to setup a separate array and it could be a single drive. But when you pull this drive to swap it, it will fail the array and you will have to re-create it each time you pull the drive. There may be third party hardware that can do this but I am unaware of it.

Hope this helps
Chris
Black holes are where God divided by zero - Steven Wright
Gerry McNamara

Thanks Chris, I will search for third party software. Gery
Gerry McNamara

Thanks Chris, I will search for third party software. Gerry