Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProLiant DL380 G4 server will not boot

deyna
Occasional Visitor

ProLiant DL380 G4 server will not boot

Hello,

I have a problem with one of our ProLiant DL380 G4 servers here. The server will not boot or show the BIOS or anything at all on a directly connected monitor I have removed pretty much all the additional hardware apart from the basics and still no success.

The following lights are shown on the motherboard (I think they are the iLO ones, the word 'status' is printed next to them on the motherboard):

When the server is off the lights flash in sequence quickly between (where 1 is on and 0 is off):

10110101 then 00001010

When the server is on the lights eventually reach:

Does anyone have a guide to help decifier the message these lights are giving, or are able to help me out?

4 REPLIES
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: ProLiant DL380 G4 server will not boot

Can you still reach ILO?

How about status, ILO and IML log?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
deyna
Occasional Visitor

Hi Torsten,

I don't believe iLO was ever set up on this server so unfortunately I cannot check it.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Try to connect it to a DHCP network and connect. Login credentials are on the tag.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

I think you may be referring to the port 84/85 status codes. Refer to section Error messages > Port 85 codes and iLO messages in the HP ProLiant Servers Troubleshooting Guide for more information on decoding status code messages.

Click here for the HP ProLiant Servers Troubleshooting Guide.

If the above link does not work, then use the following but copying and pasting it in the browser window:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.BINARYPORTLET/public/kb/docDisplay/resource.process/?spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay_ws_BI&spf_p.rid_kbDocDisplay=docDisplayResURL&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&spf_p.rst_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-resourceState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c00300504%257CdocLocale%253Den_US&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoke

From the code given for when the server is powered on, 01100001, would translate to 61h. Now based on the table would it point to expansion board-related errors. As you further state that all hardware is removed expect for the processors and memory module, then ensure that processor is populated only in processor socket 1, PPM (Processor Power Module) 1, known working memory modules in  DIMM slot 1 Bank A and DIMM slot 2 Bank A only.

Ensure that the fans installed are working.

Refer to items 1 and 2 of figure 2 in the server’s memory configuration document.  Refer to figure in section Component identification > System board components, item 17 for PPM1 location, item 18 for processor socket 1.

Click here for the server’s memory configuration.  Refer to section DIMM Slot Configuration for location of DIMM slots.

If the above link does not work, then use the following but copying and pasting it in the browser window:

https://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?docId=emr_na-c00374943

You may attempt to activate the redundant ROM in the server and check if the issue is resolved. To do so, power off the server and remove the power cable. Turn switches S1, S5 and S6 on the System Maintenance Switch to On position from the default Off position (item 3 of figure System board components) and then power on the server.

If this turns out well, which it should do so, then there would a message indicating that a maintenance switch is turned on and to reverse its position.  Once this message is seen, then reverse the switches to Off position and then power on the server.

If the issue still persists, then swap memory modules. If not , then reseat/swap the PPM. If the issue persists, then swap a working processor and check if the issue is resolved.

As a fall back, try updating the system ROM. You may download the windows version of the ROMPaq from the server’s driver download page.

Click here for the download page.

Download the ROMPaq onto a Windows machine and execute the file. This opens a browser providing options to updating the ROM in many ways. Please select Create a bootable ROMPaq USB Key. Insert a formatted USB key at least 2GB capacity to that Windows Machine before executing this step.

Once the bootable ROMPaq USB Key is created, connect it to the server and power cycle it, still with minimum hardware ( just the processor in processor socket 1, PPM 1, power convertor, memory modules in DIMM slot 1 and 2 of Bank A, removing all other hardware including riser cards as it was while performing the above steps). The server should take the image from the USB Key automatically and provide options to flash the ROM. Even if the version stated is the same as current, attempt flashing to get the ROM to isolate a possible corrupt system ROM.

If the issue is not resolved, then it would point to the system board.

You may contact HP Support along with information about the server and the troubleshooting steps performed and the results after each step for further assistance.

Click here for option to reach HP Support.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/help/contactHP/home/

Regards,

Vijayasarathy 

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and is not the views of HPE
To say thanks click the white "thumbs up" icon below!!!