ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748185 Members
4613 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ProLiant DL380 G5 - Unable to Install SUSE Linux Enterprise 9. Disk array is not found

Javier GM
Occasional Contributor

ProLiant DL380 G5 - Unable to Install SUSE Linux Enterprise 9. Disk array is not found

I'm trying to install SUSE Linux Enterprise 9 in DL380 G5 but installation is aborted because it cannot find any disk to perform the installation.
At the beginning of the process, I pressed F6 to update Smart Array driver from floppy. Floppy was already created using rawrite tool, according to HP procedure. A message box appears telling that driver update was ok, but, after that, installation process is halted because there is no disk array found.
I've tried with a driver called cpq_cciss-2.6.18-5.sles9.i586.dd and with other one called mptlinux-3.02.83.20-1.sles9.i586.dd, both obtained from HP support and drivers web page.
any suggestion?
thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ProLiant DL380 G5 - Unable to Install SUSE Linux Enterprise 9. Disk array is not found

A very preliminary question, but have you configured RAID on the RAID controller?

I see that the server is either shipped with a P400 controller or E200 controller. Please check the setup of the controller to see if the Array is configured and that the logical drive is initialized during POST.

Good luck!
Javier GM
Occasional Contributor

Re: ProLiant DL380 G5 - Unable to Install SUSE Linux Enterprise 9. Disk array is not found

I've already configured RAID and logical drive. I know it's ok cause I've done in other servers DL380 G5. Besides this, from SmartStart CD I can see disk array configured. The problem appears when SUSE LInux tries to install on the server.
The array controller is P400.
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

The driver you are using seems to be the correct one (cpq_cciss-2.6.18-5.sles9.i586.dd.gz). I am sure you would have followed the steps as mentioned in the download page.

Is it possible to try the same driver, using Linux (instead of rawrite) to create a driver disk? I doubt if it will make a difference as the driver update is successful, but it is worth a try.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Since you have downloaded the correct
"Driver Diskette for HP ProLiant Smart Array Controller", let me check 2 facts:
- Are you using the optional HP floppy drive for that server?
- Have you formatted the floppy disk before using? (yes, I know they come preformatted, but in some servers we have had cases where the driver does not load until customer formats the floppy disk again)
Javier GM
Occasional Contributor

I'm using a "standard" USB floppy disk unit, and disk is already formatted, of course. I don't believe this can be the problem. The driver cpq_cciss... is uploaded and the message "driver upload ok" is shown. I've tried several times with the same result.