1752421 Members
5912 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant DL380 G5 - Unknown Hardware

Gaarindor
Occasional Advisor

ProLiant DL380 G5 - Unknown Hardware

I am running Windows 2003 Service Pack 2 on a DL380 G5.

The problem I am having is when I have installed all the drivers and software from the ProLiant Support Pack I still have 1 piece of hardware that is shown as unknown.
Now usually I would find out what it is by the hardware IDs and so forth... but this piece of unknown hardware has no hardware IDs or any other IDs except for the Device Instance ID which says the following; 'ROOT\LEGACY_PORTACCESSOR_1\0000'.

If I was to disable this piece of hardware I would need to via VBScript as I need an automated process for it, but that requires a hardware ID which it doesn't have.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with the server itself or the ProLiant support pack.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Gaar
8 REPLIES 8
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

which proliant support pack (PSP) did you use? 8.1 version?

if so try to force installation using a .cmd file that you can in the folder you extracted PSP

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Gaarindor
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your reply Karlo.

I have used every version of the PSP including 8.1 via the .cmd method, hpsum.exe and individually installed each component.

I can't explain it but it seems that something is being forced installed that is none existent.

What I have done is uninstalled the 'instance' of the hardware using devcon.exe and everything works perfectly now.
Windows doesn't detect any other software/hardware that is unknown or needs drivers.

Quite strange if you ask me... but I'm just glad its all working now :).

Cheers,
Gaar
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

mmm weird thing you are right

just in case firmware was up to date too? 8.2?

if so it's really weird but now it's fixed glad for you
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
ArunKumar.M

Can you please tell me what is the exact hardware you are facing as unknown device?
Gaarindor
Occasional Advisor

Karlo,
Firmware versions don't go up to 8.2 on HP's site. Is there any specific firmware you are talking about? As HP has a few firmware upgrades for different components:
├В┬╗ Firmware
├В┬╗ Firmware - Console Server and Switch
├В┬╗ Firmware - Lights-Out Management
├В┬╗ Firmware - Network
├В┬╗ Firmware - Storage Controller
├В┬╗ Firmware - Storage Tape
├В┬╗ Firmware - UPS

I have upgraded to the latest firmware version on all components though.

ArunKumar.M,
Can you please tell me what is the exact hardware you are facing as unknown device?

There is no hardware associated with the unknown device. It was an instance created for a random reason.

I believe it may have something to do with the w2k3 build that is being used where I work. It's a custom modified version of w2k3. I have no doubt that someone else that has made a hack or fix in the build may have caused it, but I don't have anyway to find out unless I strip the build apart piece by piece... which I don't really have time for haha.

Cheers,
Gaar
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Gaarindor
Occasional Advisor

Oh I see :).

I will give it a shot and let you know how it all goes.

Gaar
Gaarindor
Occasional Advisor

Works the same as the individual firmware updates Karlo.
I am starting to think that HP's software doesn't like the custom build very much haha.
I'm glad I fix the problem though.

Thanks for all your help.
Much appreciated.