10820 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ProLiant DL380 G6 Fan failure

Crls
Occasional Contributor

ProLiant DL380 G6 Fan failure

Hello everyone,

One of the 6 fans in my ProLiant DL380 G6 server stopped working recently, causing the machine to gracefully shutdown in a few hours, due to insufficient cooling capacity (even though the machine was idle).

I opened the server and swapped around the failing fan, only to find out that it worked flawlessly in other sockets. Conversely, any of the other functional fans that I placed in the socked of the initially failing fan did not work at all, so it seems that it's the socked that is faulty. Also, in the process of performing these tests, the adjacent socket seems to have become faulty as well.

I have visually checked the pins in the connectors and they are fine. Also, I have measured with a multimeter the voltage of the 12V pin in both faulty sockets and it was close to 0V (a few tens of millivolts), whereas the other fuctional sockets showed the expected 12V.

The machine is quite old and I don't have a service contract. It seems to be a motherboard problem, but I am not sure if something can be done to recover (part of) the functionality.

Any comments/suggestions will be much appreciated.

Best regards,

CRLS

4 REPLIES 4
ShruthiSK
HPE Pro

Hi Cris, 

Hope you are fine. 

As per the information shared, it seems like the issue could be due to the fan cage or the systemboard itself. 

I would request you to log a case with HPE support who should be able to further help you out with the information shared. 

I do not think it could be anything else other than the above mentioned hardware components. 

Regards,

Shruthi (HPE Employee)

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Adot
Occasional Visitor

Hey @Crls ,

How did you solve it? Having the exact same issue.

Thanks.

Adot

Crls
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Adot,

Actually, I didn't. Since, being a relatively old server, we did not have an HPE support contract, the only option they offered us was to send it for service repair. They would not even provide a firmware update for us to download. We therefore decided the repair price was not worth it for such and old machine, so it is out of order. We have kept it in storage though, in case we can use any spare part in the future for a twin server we own which is still online.

I am sorry I cannot help you any further.

Regards,

Crls

Adot
Occasional Visitor

Thanks @Crls 

for your reply!
I'll try with a new system board then ....

Best

Adot