New Discussion юеВ

ProLiant DL380 G6 - HDD Issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
BAA
Occasional Advisor

ProLiant DL380 G6 - HDD Issues

Hi:

We are having some problems with our SAS Hard Drives this last days and still can't solve them. We have mounted 3 of them, we had to remove one and run with only 2, but after we put again the 3rd disk the server won't recognized any of the 3, no matter what we do it always skips the hdd boot and goes directly to check the cd-rom.

The led indicators for the hdd's shows that they are online but not active. Also it often shows online only the disk we took in the first time, and the rest offline.

Thank you in advance.
10 REPLIES 10
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: ProLiant DL380 G6 - HDD Issues

hi,

check in ACU and ADU what it says there.

Any other messages from the array in the POST?
BAA
Occasional Advisor

Sorry, i'm kinda new to server managent and don't know how exactly use those. On top i can't find our OS CD anywhere, is there another way to run this utilities without it ?

Thanks again.
BAA
Occasional Advisor

Also no POST error messages at all.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Let's hope you either have a backup or can make another OS CD in case you need to reinstall then :)

You can find the ACU(array configuration utility) and ADU(array diagnostic utility) on the smartstart CD. You can boot on that CD.

ACU will tell give you graphical overview and primary error messages while the ADU is a bit complex to read but it gives you more details.

Do you have ILO on this server? If so maybe there are some POST messages saved in the IML - ilo log.
BAA
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, yesterday i was researching about this and just found SmartStart and thought on using it. Now it's confirmed.
I will make both SmartStart and OS CD and post what i find.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

install the latest firmware on the server. Then do the firmware on the hard drives. You want them all on the same firmware.
BAA
Occasional Advisor

Ok, now i'm completely lost. I ran ACU and it told me that only the disk i took off the first time is part of a logical unit, and the other 2 are actually unasigned. I don't have any idea of how that even happened.
Now that i'm trying with the OS CD it shows a red screen with the following error message:

>Illegal OpcCode
>
>EAX=000E0003 EBX=00000022 ECX=00000001 EDX=00000080
>EBP=000001BE ESI=00000200 EDI=00007E00
>DS=0000 ES=0000 FS=0000
>CS:EIP=0000:00000100 SS:ESP=0000:0000087B
>EFLAGS=00000246

I'm starting to doubt i could get that data back...
BAA
Occasional Advisor

And now i see why we had the problem in the first place...
We removed a disk and what we have is a RAID 0, and for some reason 2 of the disk got left out the logic unit.
Is there a way to get them back in, keeping the data ? Or it's lost forever ?
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

RAID 0, data is lost. I doubt On-Track could recover it. You can call them in Minnesota. I hope you have a good backup solution.