1753679 Members
5776 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant DL380 G6

Maciej Kujawa
Occasional Advisor

ProLiant DL380 G6

Can we put 2 additional RAID controllers into it? We want to have additional SAS disks in external matrix SAS cases.
8 REPLIES 8
TTr
Honored Contributor

Yes you can add RAID controllers. What do you have installed on it so far? The G6 can have up to 16 internal disks with the addition of the optional 8-bay disk cage (you lose the internal DVD drive), and 6 PCIe slots with the addition of the 3 PCIe riser option.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13234_div/13234_div.html
Maciej Kujawa
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your answer. Right now we have all standard server with 8 bays of 2.5inch disks. We want to extend for another 20-30 disks (3.5inch) based on two or three external storage enclosures. I was thinking about HP Storage Works 60 Modular Smart Array. What would be the best of choice regarding additional controllers for it?
TTr
Honored Contributor

You can use MSA60 or the newer D2600/D2700 enclosures and a wide variety pf controllers.

The problem with the external enclosures is that all drives in the enclosure (and in the cascaded enclosures) get connected with a single 4-port cable. So you get only 4 drives at a time doing i/o. Don't expect i/o miracles with this kind of a setup, they are capacity oriented not performance.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12627_div/12627_div.HTML

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13404_div/13404_div.html

In the enclosure URL there are links for all the SA controllers.
Maciej Kujawa
Occasional Advisor

Can I connect 2 enclosures with one controller (i.e. P411)? As far as I see it has 2 ext connectors. Or is it better to connect each enclosure to one controller. How about the availability of 8x PCI-E connectors? I'm concerned that it's really only one available left, so we're stuck with only one controller. Could you please confirm that? The specification for a new server is with 2 additional RAID controllers and 40 disks in total.
Maciej Kujawa
Occasional Advisor

And the next one. Our DL380 G6 spec says that we have already P410 8 channel already onboard (for 8 internal disks). Is this possible that we already have no PCI 8x slots anymore?
Maciej Kujawa
Occasional Advisor

OK - I read the specs in more detail. It's P410i - means integrated. And specs say also that DL380 G6 supports a total of two P411. So it can be done I think.
TTr
Honored Contributor

Yes it can be done. You can connect both enclosures to the same controller but you will get better i/o if you buy two separate controllers.

What are you planning on running on this server with this much storage? As I said before don't expect screaming i/o.
Maciej Kujawa
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your reply once again. I also think - we don't really need that much storage but we have ongoing implementation of a "big" system and that is the requirement of the software company.