New Discussion

ProLiant DL380 G7 - Can't detect new SAS drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
Christophslim
Occasional Visitor

ProLiant DL380 G7 - Can't detect new SAS drives

Hi,

We've had this HP server for ~3 years, wanted to add another 2xHDD (SAS) to go with the existing 2xHDD (SAS) for a total of 4xHDD (SAS).  The new drives are not being detected by the system at all, be it Windows, BIOS, RAID Controller, or 'SmartStart' and I'm running out of ideas.  

I have tested the new SAS drives in a different workstation (Dell Precision) and they appear with no problems, I have also tested a 3rd SSD (SATA) in the server and this appears with no problems. 

I have then tested the SAS drives in another Proliant we have (DL380p Gen 8) but this presents the same issue i.e. The new SAS are not detected.

So, its leading me to think its either a common flaw/fault with either these particular servers (or with their current configuration), or that I am missing something here. Any ideas? I'm also in touch with HP support directly so will update accordingly if I hear anything. 

Thanks! 

8 REPLIES 8
Christophslim
Occasional Visitor

Re: ProLiant DL380 G7 - Can't detect new SAS drives

P.S. These are the drives https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c02236664

[Moderator edit: Updated the broken link.]

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The Gen8 server is using different drives and frames, so expect they will not work in the Gen8.

But according to the link they should work fine in the G7.

How about a test:

Power down the server, pull both existing disks, insert the new disks, power up and go into the array config (F8).

Can you see the drives there?

Is the firmware of the array controller current?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Christophslim
Occasional Visitor

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply - makes sense about the Gen8 abut they did go in. 

I've unplugged and swapped drives many many times and each time I've gone into the RAID controller (where you create logical volumes etc) the only drives it detects are the exisiting drives. When I put in a 5th drive (SATA SSD) then this was displayed as being available etc but 3 and 4 (the new SAS) are not. 

Your shout on the firmware for the RAID controller is a good call though, as I think it is something to do with the controller not picking up SAS.  I'll see where I can get a firmware update for the P410i. 

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

The disks in slots 3 and 4 are for Gen8, not for G7 servers!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Christophslim
Occasional Visitor

Are the drives definitely Gen specific and not (-/+)1 gen compatible? Other ones I've seen don't have that limitation. 

EDIT: HP after a few days have now told me that the drives are not supported for Gen7...they probably read your post! 

JAroJ
Occasional Contributor

Hi,
Try use the right tray for the G7. In the foto is tray for the G8  - this is not he same !

Regards
Jaro

JaroJ
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Christophslim wrote:

Are the drives definitely Gen specific and not (-/+)1 gen compatible? Other ones I've seen don't have that limitation. 

EDIT: HP after a few days have now told me that the drives are not supported for Gen7...they probably read your post! 

Not really a limitation of the drive itself, it is the carriers that are different

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
YatZeck_WAWA
Occasional Visitor

The funny fact about HP servers [controllers] it lack of support for most of sas drives nor branded as HP., I now tried with Seagate Savvio 10K.3 [ST9300603SS] as well as HGST UCTSSC450 and they just do not seem to be recogniseed. MOst of end used laptop sata drives work with no issues.

Quite weird.

But there are the guys who bring it to the light: http://dascomputerconsultants.com/HPCompaqServerDrives.htm

Kr,

Y.