1747984 Members
4412 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ProLiant DL380 G7 iLo2

xfirestorm

ProLiant DL380 G7 iLo2

Hello!

We have just received our Proliant DL380 G7 server and while going through the user guide for it, specifically for iLo configuration, the guide describes configuration for iLo2, but when I log in through the web interface to the iLo console it logs me in to iLo3 Standard. But because I needed the iLo console right away I downloaded the trial iLO3 Advanced license and when received the .doc document with the license number the document states:

"NOTE:  Integrated Lights-Out (iLO 2) Advanced software is pre-installed on ProLiant 300 & 500 series servers and advanced features are activated with the above license key."

So, now, is it possible to use the iLo2(if advanced is preinstalled on this server at all?) on our server, or will we have to purchase the iLo3 Advanced license?

Kind regards,

Thomas

6 REPLIES 6
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, I searched through the DL380 G7 server user guide ( 594660-00, feb 2011, edition 2) and there is no "ilo2" or "ilo 2" in that document.

What guide were you looking through?

If you look in the quickspecs of DL380 G7 and G5.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13595_na/13595_na.html
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12477_na/12477_na.html

You'll see that 512485-B21 is available for both the G7 and G5. Based on that I'd say that the license should work on ILO3.
Sirajul haque
Frequent Advisor

I think he got confused

All G7 servers will have iLO3, you cannot have iLO2 on it.

Now regarding the comment "NOTE:  Integrated Lights-Out (iLO 2) Advanced software is pre-installed on ProLiant 300 & 500 series servers and advanced features are activated with the above license key"

You are right, its Pre-installed but not activated. Once you buy/enter license it will get activated and you can use it.

Hope this will help you :)

Though I work for HP, I do not represent HP here :)
Netintegrity

No he's not confused, just badly written.

The issue is the same I am having, I have a G7 model, and for some stupid reason the major Australian HP Distributor are not able to supply a ILO license key (paid for), waiting for stock. Wonder how long it takes to manufacture a key...???

So in the interim, I thought it would quick to install a trial key, so went to the HP ILO 3 webpage, clicked the correct links for the trial.

It provides a document with the trial licence key like so

Integrated Lights-Out Advanced - Evaluation License

License key: 3323L-4434X-X232C-23426-8W233 (its not the one I have...doctored for posting)

Number of licenses: 10

Duration: 60 days

NOTE:  Integrated Lights-Out (iLO 2) Advanced software is pre-installed on ProLiant 300 & 500 series servers and advanced features are activated with the above license key.

So what the original poster should have said, is that he tried the License key and it came back as Invalid, and the last sentence in the document is what he hung his hat on, thinking that he has been provided a ILO 2 license. And to be fair to the original poster, with no other versioning numbers on the document, reading that line, you would assume that it was a iLO 2 license....

Poorly thought out and executed by HP. Produce a well engineered product, but fail on the "extras".

Regards

Bob

Livitin
Advisor

Did you get a solution?

Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

All, this issue is quite common in ILO2/3 , please keep in mind that trial key will be the same for ILO2/3 and 4, the solution lies in resetting the ILO using the ILO bios,
> press at POST F8 and then go into iLO and file > factory reset; then apply again the license via the GUI.
Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
saliya
Occasional Visitor

Thnks a lot.

ILO reset option worked.