4092 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant DL380G3 - Smart Array 5i

Kuan Hau_1
Occasional Advisor

ProLiant DL380G3 - Smart Array 5i

Hi,

Can someone tell me the best way to migrate from 3x72GB drives in a RAID 5 configuration into a mirrored set (0+1) (assume we can afford some new hard drives/controller).

Thanks,
Kuan
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Kuan:

As long as you have free available space in your array, you should be able to click on the logical drive in question in ACU, click the Migrate link and select the new RAID level and save the changes.

I would make sure you have the latest firmware and drivers, if not already there, though usually not necessary.

You should not need more drivs unless you don;t have any available space. If this is the case, then you need to either add a few drives, or replace the existing drives, one at a time. Once all 3 are replaced, you should then have the available space to migrate.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Kuan Hau_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Steven,

So to clarify:
If i have 3x72GB in RAID 5 (144GB)
Then we migrate to RAID 1 - 1x72GB + 1x72GB (144GB). Then i will have one spare 72GB hard drive, correct?

And the Smart 5i allows a migration down from RAID 5 to RAID 1?

And in order to migrate to 1+0 then i would need to add another 72GB drive and then migrate - i.e. 2x72GB + 2x72GB.

Thanks,
Kuan
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Not exactly...

There is no RAID1 on a Smart Array, only 0, 1+0, 5 and ADG.

If you have a 3 disk array, you can not migrate to RAID 1+0, you would need to add the 4th drive. Since you can not remove a drive from an array, the only way you can get it down to a 2 drive array with a spare, is to re-create.

The 5I should allow you to drop from R5 to R1 as long as you have an even number of disks in the array.

"And in order to migrate to 1+0 then i would need to add another 72GB drive and then migrate - i.e. 2x72GB + 2x72GB." - Yes, but the controller does not see 2 sets of 72GB disks. It just see's 4 disks in the array and that is how it is displayed to you. Behind the scenes it does the work necessary to make it 1+0, but you will not see that part of it in the ACU

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)