Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[ProLiant DL380p Gen8] HD Controller high temperature

Leung Simon
Occasional Contributor

[ProLiant DL380p Gen8] HD Controller high temperature

Hi there,

I have a new DL380p Gen8 setup and idle for awhile, I found that the temperature on HD Controller is about 85C but the whole system status is normal. 

I searched this forum and only a few posts regarding this issue. Is it a normal temperature? even close to 100C ? We are in summer time, the room temperature is around 20C-21C and the server ambient is around 26C.

Best

Simon

SGH415EXS9.JPG

2 REPLIES
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: [ProLiant DL380p Gen8] HD Controller high temperature

Hi,

Temperature within the server will depend on the following factors:

1. Additional PCI Cards installed and they are blocking air flow.

2. Cables inside the server not routed properly.

3. Hard drive blanks or power supply blanks or air baffled missing or not configured properly.

4. Firmware's.

Check which array controller and hard drive model you have and see if they require any firmware update that might fix this issue.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

waaronb
Respected Contributor

Re: [ProLiant DL380p Gen8] HD Controller high temperature

People have also noted that the Smart Array controllers tend to run pretty hot anyway. Considering all the work they do and the memory on them, I don't recall seeing a heatsink (at least on the PCI models). I could be wrong.

I guess they do just tend to run hot, but the good news is, the server cooling takes that into account and can handle it, but that means the fans for that zone could run faster/louder.

It makes me wonder if some solution like the gamers use to cool their GPU's could be used for the SA controller? Probably more the processor on there and not the cache memory, so even just a little aluminum fin sink might improve things quite a bit if it doesn't have anything at all.

Next time I have one open I'll have to check what's already there and what could be added. :) My interest is piqued.