ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753774 Members
7133 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ProLiant DL385 G1 Smart Array 6i Controller firmware + hard disk drive firmware update

RMC GCS WINTEL
Frequent Visitor

ProLiant DL385 G1 Smart Array 6i Controller firmware + hard disk drive firmware update

Hello,

we have two ProLiant DL385 G1 servers with failed battery on 6i controller accelerator reported. They were replaced, but still same issue. We are now going to try firmware update, current used is 2.80 B to newest available 2.84 A.

But on download page there is recommendation also to update any applicable hard disk drives before updating the Smart Array firmware.

From the pdf list I confirmed on one server is one disk model COMPAQ BD14687B52 which applies for this and its fw should be upgraded before.
But this can be done only via booting the server with maintenance CD and applying the disk fw from floppy disk/usb key.
As we are remote support and not onsite, in fact we cannot do this easily.

I would like to ask, if is this possible e.g. to mount the maintenance cd as iso image via RILO card as well the fw itself as floppy disk image together and update it this was.

Or what imapact can be there when this hard disk firmware will be skipped?

Thanks for hints.
4 REPLIES 4
Hense, Klaus
Valued Contributor

Re: ProLiant DL385 G1 Smart Array 6i Controller firmware + hard disk drive firmware update

Hallo,
you can Update Firmware with the firmware update ISO Image per ILO Card.
Be carefull with update the ILO himself ....

You can update the FW from the 6i without update the disk FW - but it is not recommned.
klhe
RLyons1
Occasional Advisor

Re: ProLiant DL385 G1 Smart Array 6i Controller firmware + hard disk drive firmware update

Are you also using the Version Control Agent procoess that can pull up the latest PSP and provide you all the firmware updates and this will allow you to review everything for your system which needs updating. This is good because you can see what is necessary, what is nice to have, and what is a feature update but not necessarily needed. It also allows you to fix firmware issues on the fly through the iLO interface. Hence, if you use this utility it'll help you address firmware issues. As for the recommended updates to the harddrives, if you use the version control utility it'll have all of that in there and you won't need to worry about picking and choosing everything randomly not knowing if you have the correct one. All the correct firmware will show up in the PSP and you'll just need to select what you want to install - so if you update all - all the firmware will match the hardware and you'll be set in one shot.
Arnaldo Salas

There is a known issue about this and is under researching. Seems to affect only the 6i controller but could happen on other controllers.
382608-405

Buenas tardes de favor alguien podria ayudarme a quitar el error de bateria que manda este servidor, gracias