5934 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ProLiant DL385 Gen10 plus - PCI spliting / bifurcate

pawele
Occasional Contributor

ProLiant DL385 Gen10 plus - PCI spliting / bifurcate

hi everyone.

I am looking at and contemplate a purhcase of these servers and I wonder if are is "PCI split / bifurcate" support from this model(or any HPE servers, I've never owned one).

I'm reading user tech docs but I fail to find clear info on this. Can anybody clarify 100% this server model does support PCIe 'bifurcate' ?

many thanks, Pawel.

13 REPLIES 13
AmRa
HPE Pro

Hi Pawel,

Yes, PCIe bifurcation options is available in DL385 Gen10 server, Please follow the below procedure to configure PCIe bifurcation.

Configuring PCIe bifurcation options:

Procedure
1. From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration (RBSU) > PCIe
Device Configuration > Advanced PCIe Configuration > PCIe Bifurcation Options.
2. Select the bifurcation option for each PCIe slot.
• Auto
• Bifurcate
• Dual Bifurcate
3. Save your settings.

DL385 Gen10.jpg

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
krisd443
Advisor

@AmRa 

I'm looking at the RBSU on one of our Gen10 DL385s now. There is no dual bifurcation option, only auto or bifurcate. Is there a way to fix this? Hovering over the bifurcation options mentions dual bifurcation but the dropdowns do not.

Codeangels
Occasional Visitor

Hi OCCASIONAL ADVISOR,

Did you find out more about bifurcate and if it works? I am considering DL385 Gen10 (not plus) and need to bifurcate in order to add M2 NVME drives.

Thanks

AmRa
HPE Pro

Hi

Please access BIOS/Platform configuration from intelligent provisioning and check for dual bifurcation option.

To access intelligent provisioning press F10 during POST.

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
Titan_Systems

I am also trying to figure this out.  I am putting an Asus Hyper card in, however, I still do not have the option of Dual in either straight bios setup or Intelligent Provisioning.  This is a brand new unit, which came with a March 2020 bios.

miles267
Occasional Visitor

Hi - I have the same HPE Gen10 Plus system with the same March 2020 bios version.  How do I enable Dual mode?  It's currently not available.  Thanks.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Please follow the below steps.

ProLiant DL385 Gen10 plus - PCI spliting / bifurcate
  1. From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration (RBSU) > PCIe. Device Configuration > Advanced PCIe Configuration > PCIe Bifurcation Options.
  2. Select the bifurcation option for each PCIe slot. • Auto. ...
  3. Save your settings.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.

Accept or Kudo

miles267
Occasional Visitor

The DL385 Gen10 Plus BIOS bifurcate settings references Auto, Bifurcate and Dual options when you mouse-over the setting in BIOS, however the Dual option isn't available from the drop-down selection as it is in the Gen10.  Please update the Gen10 Plus BIOS to offer the Dual and even Quad bifurcate options.  Have not been able to get bifurcate to work as expected in Gen10 Plus using more than one storage device on a PCIe card yet.

kondor
Occasional Advisor

In my 385 Gen10 Plus I have noticed that when I use PCIe card for 4 NVMe M.2 drives there's no way they can be seen as 4 separate drives when put in x16 slot (slot 2) with bifurcation enabled. System presents only one drive for the OS. The best result so far I could achieve by puting the card (Asrock Quad) in one of the x8 slots (1 or 3). I can see two drives then and it doesn't matter if the biffurcation is enabled or left with Auto option. I assume to make it work there has to be a bios feature for quad bifurcation, although there's something wrong with the x16 slot. In the system information I can see Slot 1 and 3 being of width x8 with negotiated link of x16, but Slot 2 (actual x16) shows as width x16 and negotiated link of x2 or x4 depending if the bifurcation is enabled or left with auto in the bios settings.