4961 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ProLiant DL580 G3 Server How to Enable Smart Array 6400

nigel_27
Occasional Contributor

ProLiant DL580 G3 Server How to Enable Smart Array 6400

Hello

Please can some body help me with the following question.

I have installed a Smart Array Controller 6400, it is cabled via port a to port a on the back plane.

The machine boots up and it is then of course possible to enter the software with F8, the card does not see any drives (create locagical drive..)

Now as a side note I find this machine slightly strange in that normally you will find that the backplane will have a cable from the port a/1 to the onboard array controler 6 controller, in this case the backplane just has to empty slots, it is almost as if the backplane is just hardwired.

Can any one help, I have a few hours to resolve this issue so I thought I would post here before emailing or calling HP.

Thank you
Nigel
6 REPLIES 6
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor

Re: ProLiant DL580 G3 Server How to Enable Smart Array 6400

Hi Nigel:

The scsi backplane by default is configured as a Duplex Backplane on the Emedded 5i controller

- You don't really need to use the SA6400 for the emedded drives ; as there is a raid controller onboard.

- if you want to have the 4 drives on the same backplane; there is a switch on the scsi backplane for duplex or simplex configurations.

Best regards,

tarek.
Hey, look a light at the end of the tunnel.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Nigel:

Why would you want to use the 6400?

And though it is probably just a typo, the DL580G3 has a 6i controller, not a 5i. Additionally, it is configured with 64MB for Cache and has an option for an additional 128MB of Battery Backed Write Cache.

The only major thing you gain with the 6400 is more drive support...externally.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
nigel_27
Occasional Contributor

Well yes the order includeds big large external drive cabnets, I understand from my college that they are full of large drives.

I am quite low on time now so may call HP, situation again .
ProLiant DL580 G3 Server How to Enable Smart Array 6404, smart card is install connected to port a, press f8 and it does not see any drive, have flicked siwtch from duplex to simplex and of course this has no affect.

Ideas?

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Nigel:

How many cabinets?

You do not need to cable anything internally for the 6400 to work externally, just place it into one of the expansion slots and plug in your external boxes on the back of the card.

The switch is only for the embedded SA6i controller and will not effect any expansion cards.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00432519/c00432519.pdf

Page 118 for cabling

Also there would be two times F8, first time for 6i and second Time for 6400 series

Did you see HDD when only 6i used?
nigel_27
Occasional Contributor

Hello

IN short it is all working now, for the last few days I have been working on HP servers, to check drives are seen I have been using F8.

Smart start was the answer, insure the 6404 was set as primary boot device and then it is all ok.

I did have one situation just now wereby every thing was set correctly yet it did not work, I inspected the onboard card and it in fact was showing the 2x36Gb drives even thou it was all wired up and ready to go with the 6404 set as primary, I rebooted and it then all started to fall into place some how, the onboard was no longer even showing in the BIOS start up section.. little werid but all ok.

Final Answer= Use smart start. Insure Smart Array board is set to Primary, insure all of your cabling is sound, if it still does not work power down and let the system get its pants together and understand the way you have set it to work kind of .

Thanks guys very important for me to me able to get replys I am sure to post again, hope you all have a fine weekend.

Nigel