108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant G5 DL380 Unable to reach prompt to enter RBSU

SOLVED
Go to solution
FireAmpersand
Visitor

ProLiant G5 DL380 Unable to reach prompt to enter RBSU

Just a note before i explain whats wrong. This is my first time working with a industry level server. I have built and managed servers out of old pc parts so i know the "basics" if you will. 

So about a week a ago, my college did an upgrade to the servers. Removing 3-4 ProLiant G5 DL380 servers for something fancier and new. They offered them up to my class ( I am in a networking and computer hardware major) to those that want them. I eneded up taking one home to use as a sandbox and learn what industry level servers are like. Everything but the hard drives, ram and a CMOS battery were included. 

I did my research for the ram, the offical document said it needs PC2-5300 ECC Ram. Got 32GB (4GB x 8). I also got 2 HP 2.5" drives and a 2032 battery. 

Today i went to put it all together and couldn't even reach the point to enter RBSU. I am getting two short beeps on post, the display is active but is a black screen ( i know its outputing as the monitor no longer says no input). I have tried removing everything but one stick of ram, a processor, and one psu, but still the exact beep code. 

If anyone has some tips for me i would greatly appreciate the help. 

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
sulleymonster
Occasional Advisor

When I have come accross this situation it's always been a bad battery/memory or a seating issue with memory or the processor.

Try reseating the processor and going through the memory sticks by testing them one by one.

Have you tried using the ILO interface to view the system boot? If not you can sign up for a tree trial and troubleshoot that way.

FireAmpersand
Visitor

So i reseated both my cpus. No change. Tested one stick at a time but i got a long then short beep then all the dimms lighting up on the front. When testing with just one cpu and on ram stick i got the same results as before, 2 short beeps then a blank screen. As for the ilo, i can see its ip address on the network, but everytime I try to connect it, it replies with connection refused. Maybe im doing something wrong?

AshutoshM
HPE Pro

Recommendations:

1. Power down the server and reseat all removable components and ensure everything is securely seated.
2. Refer the user guide and use the system maintenance switch to clear the NVRAM.
Set the system maintenance switch 6 to on position.
Power on the server and wait for indication on screen that switch is in on position.
Power down the server and set the system maintenance switch 6 to off position.
3. Power on the server again and check status.
If step 2 was not successful or if you continue to receive errors/ beeps then refer the troubleshooting guide.
4. Do also check for bent pins, damaged cables etc on attached peripherals.

Documents for reference:
1. HP ProLiant DL380 Generation 5 Server User Guide
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=1121413&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c00710263

2. HP Proliant Servers Troubleshooting Guide
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=1121413&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c00300504

I am an HPE Employee
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Are you sure you got the right RAMs? You wrote ECC RAM.... You need PC2-5300F (fully buffered) in pairs. You first install Dimm 1A and Dimm 3A (first pair A then B,C,D). The names are written on the mainboard.

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
FireAmpersand
Visitor
Solution

Thanks for the relpies everyone. In frustration i went back and saw there was another one they were tossing out. Exact same parts. It  did have the same beeps codes but i was able to install a OS. Maybe the other one just had a bad video output? But regardless I am up and running.