1752786 Members
5890 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ProLiant ML 350 Replacing NIC

Joelvisdude
Occasional Advisor

ProLiant ML 350 Replacing NIC

It looks like our NIC went bad (lightning strike). I see that the current NIC is integrated. I'm assuming I can install a PCI (or PCI-X) NIC. Where can I locate instructions to ensure a smooth installation? Am concerned I might need to disable current NIC first, even though it is not funcitoning. Does it matter what model NIC we use? Does it matter whether it is PCI or PCI-X - is one better than the other? Any and all help with this will be appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13
Jaime Bolanos Rojas.
Honored Contributor

Re: ProLiant ML 350 Replacing NIC

Joel,

You will not have to disable the embedded nic since hardware addresses are embeddeded too.
You can use either pci-x or pci depending on whether the server support it or not.

IF you provice the generation for the ml 350 maybe I can give the part # for the nics cards.

Also taking a look at the quick specs for the server you will see a list of compatible cards for that machine.

Regards,

jaime.
Work hard when the need comes out.
Joelvisdude
Occasional Advisor

We have an Integrated NIC3163 Fast Ethernet 10/100. I originally presumed it was integrated into the motherboard, but the user tells me that it is a card - and that the card also has the video port.

User did some diagnostics via Device Manager that show the NIC as functioning correctly.

Event Viewer shows these error messages that popped up around the time we were "hit by lightning". Am now wondering if the problem is not elsewhere:

1) Adapter Compaq NC3163 Fast Ethernet Link: Adapter Link Down.
2) Compaq BIC Agent: Connectivity has been lost for the NIC in slot 1, port 1 SNMP Trap: 18002 in CPQNIC.MIB.

Any thoughts?
Joelvisdude
Occasional Advisor

Just noticed this hit based on one of the Event Viewe messages:

Event Identifier: 1281 (Hex)0xc4350501 (CPQNIMSG.DLL)

Log Severity: Error (3)

Event Title: cpqNicConnectivityLost

Log Message: Compaq NIC Agent: Connectivity has been lost for the NIC in slot %1, port %s.

Snmp Trap: cpqNicConnectivityLost - 18002 in CPQNIC.MIB

Symptom: "This trap will be sent any time the status of a logical adapter changes to the Failed condition. This occurs when the adapter in a single adapter configuration fails, or when the last adapter in a redundant configuration fails. This can be caused by loss of link due to a cable being removed from the adapter or the Hub or Switch. Internal adapter, Hub, or Switch failures can also cause this condition. User Action: Check the cables to the adapter and the Hub or Switch. If no cable problems are found, the adapter, Hub, or Switch may need replacement."

Supporting SNMP Trap Data
%1 sysName
%2 cpqHoTrapFlags
%3 cpqNicIfPhysAdapterSlot
%4 cpqNicIfPhysAdapterPort

Am now checking the other equipment - perhaps a port on a Switch.

In the meantime, do you know where I'd locate instructions for replacing the NIC, in case I need to go that route now or later?
Jaime Bolanos Rojas.
Honored Contributor

Joel, very important to have the generation for the server is it an ml350 g1 or g2 or g4?

Depending on the model, we can find a nic for it.

I you go to google and do a search for example ml350 g4 quick specs, you will find a hit for it in the hp website.

IT will tell you the part number that you need to buy, you do not want to buy a generic nic.

Also, if not sure yet if the problem is the nic, tried different cable to the switch, different port on the switch, try reinstalling the latest drivers for the nic, etc.

Regards,

jaime.
Work hard when the need comes out.
Joelvisdude
Occasional Advisor

It is a G1 series.

Using new cable and new switch.

Are there steps to update the driver?
Are there steps to install a new NIC?

Oddly, the monitor is working (and it us using a port on the NIC card).

Joelvisdude
Occasional Advisor

I greatly appreciate the help thus far. Any news on the correct replacement NIC/video card? Any news on the installation procedures?
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Ummm... if it is a G1 then the NIC will be onboard.

Are you sure it is not G2? I think the G2 has a server feature board (like an add-on card) which has video and NIC on it.
Learning never ends
Joelvisdude
Occasional Advisor

It does not say G1, G2 or G3 or G4 on the box. I was told by HP phone support that it is a G1 based on the serial number.
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Can you let us know what CPU speed, and the colour of the case (or chassis)? Or even snap a picture on your phone and attach it to the forum! :)

I think HP would usually stick a part number label on the chassis (i.e. 123456-B21). Let us know too if you can find that!
Learning never ends