1753478 Members
6053 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ProLiant ML-370 G4 server BIOS update using NetWare CP008705.nlm

Connie Che
Occasional Contributor

ProLiant ML-370 G4 server BIOS update using NetWare CP008705.nlm

I have 2 servers that are located in remote office. What will happen when I load the CP008705.nlm on the NetWare 6.5 ProLiant server? I assume it will flash the BIOS while NetWare 6.5 is up and running, right?

Will I need to reboot the server afterward before I patch the server from SP5 to SP7?

I am a bit concern as I don't have physical access to the server and this will be all done remotely and have someone locally to power off or power on the server.

Hope someone can provide the details before I do the upgrade.

Thanks
Connie
1 REPLY 1
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: ProLiant ML-370 G4 server BIOS update using NetWare CP008705.nlm

Hi Connie,

Most Proliants (excluding G1 models) have two copies of the BIOS. The current (active) copy and a backup copy. These can be different revision levels.

When you perform a flash update you modify the backup copy which only becomes active on a reboot. The original active copy which was in use when you performed the flash update then becomes the backup copy.

This allows you to go back to the original active copy if things go wrong since you can manually select the backup copy if required from within the BIOS settings.

So when you flash the BIOS using CP008705.NLM you will need to reboot to make this version of BIOS active.

I hope this helps.

Brian